Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. anhnha's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 478
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    A and an are the indefinite articles. Can I omit it?

    A and an are the indefinite articles. They refer to something not specifically known to the person you are communicating with.
    More:English Grammar - Learn English Grammar - Articles
    Why the author use the article "the" here?
    Can I omit it?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,084
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: A and an are the indefinite articles. Can I omit it?

    Quote Originally Posted by anhnha View Post
    A and an are the indefinite articles. They refer to something not specifically known to the person you are communicating with.
    More:English Grammar - Learn English Grammar - Articles
    Why the author use the article "the" here?
    Can I replace it by "a"?
    The author used it because "a" and "an" are the only indefinite articles. No, you can't replace it with "a". You could, however, omit it.

  3. anhnha's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 478
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: A and an are the indefinite articles. Can I omit it?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    The author used it because "a" and "an" are the only indefinite articles. No, you can't replace it with "a". You could, however, omit it.
    Thanks!
    I see it now.
    No, you can't replace it with "a". You could, however, omit it.
    Sorry, it is a mistake. I intended to ask about omitting "the".

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: A and an are the indefinite articles. Can I omit it?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    The author used it because "a" and "an" are the only indefinite articles. No, you can't replace it with "a". You could, however, omit it.
    Yes, but omitting "the" changes the meaning. It's still true that 'a' and 'an' are indefinite articles, but that doesn't mean they're the only indefinite articles, as "... are the indefinite articles" does.

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,084
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: A and an are the indefinite articles. Can I omit it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, but omitting "the" changes the meaning. It's still true that 'a' and 'an' are indefinite articles, but that doesn't mean they're the only indefinite articles, as "... are the indefinite articles" does.
    Yes, I agree.

Similar Threads

  1. How can indefinite article "a" comes with uncounted noun?
    By Odessa Dawn in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Aug-2012, 15:12
  2. [Grammar] has "a" nice smile - indefinite article question
    By always learning in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-May-2011, 15:39
  3. Indefinite article "a"
    By Tabeta in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Nov-2008, 22:50
  4. the indefinite article "a"
    By snade17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Feb-2008, 14:46
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-May-2006, 17:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •