Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I've got a problem with these two words. I don't understand the difference.
Could you tell me if I use them correctly in the sentence above?

1. I haven't written to you for so long because I had a lot of learning.
2. I've passed all the exams so I can go to university and learn maths.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We tend to learn facts. We do this by studying over a relatively long period of time. After studying them for a period of time, we can usually say that we have learnt them.

When you were a child, you did not know that 2+2=4. You had to study maths. After a while, you learnt that 2+2=4. You studied addition until you understood how to add two numbers together. Once you had studied it and understood it, you knew how to add numbers together.

driftwood

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. I haven't written to you for so long because I had a lot of studying.
2. I've passed all the exmas so I can go to university and study maths.

I think you ought to use 'study' in place of 'learn'.

I have studied English for 10 years, but I have not learned how to speak in English.
As this sentence illustrates, you can study English but you may not have learned (or acquired the skill) how to speak in English.

When you study something, you are in the process of acquiring the knowledge of something. At the end of this process, you may or may not acquire the knowledge. If not, you have not learned anything.

angelene001

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
We tend to learn facts. We do this by studying over a relatively long period of time. After studying them for a period of time, we can usually say that we have learnt them.

When you were a child, you did not know that 2+2=4. You had to study maths. After a while, you learnt that 2+2=4. You studied addition until you understood how to add two numbers together. Once you had studied it and understood it, you knew how to add numbers together.

When you put it like that I understand the difference.
When I see such a sentence :
"I haven't written to you for so long because I had a lot of learning"
I still don't know if it is correct.

"I had a lot of learning" meaning "I had to gain a lot of knowledge" and stressing the positive final effect not the process.
I haven't written because I had too much to learn.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

"I had a lot of learning" meaning "I had to gain a lot of knowledge" and stressing the positive final effect not the process.

"I haven't written to you for so long because I had a lot of learning." This is not correct.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

No, that doesn't work like that. You would have to say "I had a lot of learning to do before I could write back."

angelene001

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
1. I haven't written to you for so long because I had a lot of studying.
2. I've passed all the exams so I can go to university and study maths.

I think you ought to use 'study' in place of 'learn'.

I have studied English for 10 years, but I have not learned how to speak in English.
As this sentence illustrates, you can study English but you may not have learned (or acquired the skill) how to speak in English.

When you study something, you are in the process of acquiring the knowledge of something. At the end of this process, you may or may not acquire the knowledge. If not, you have not learned anything.

Can't I say that I'm happy because at university I will finally learn maths meaning I will acquire the knowledge and understand the subject?

I understand that it is probably more natural to say "study maths" when we talk about the univeristy.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Can't I say that I'm happy because at university I will finally learn maths meaning I will acquire the knowledge and understand the subject?

I understand that it is probably more natural to say "study maths" when we talk about the univeristy.
Yes, you can say, "I'm happy because at university I will finally learn maths," meaning that you'll acquire the knowledge and understand the subject.
It's not necessarily more natural to use 'study' with 'university'. The words have different meanings. You can study a painting, say, without learning anything (arguably), and you can learn things without studying.

Status
Not open for further replies.