Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
These absolute infinitives frequently appear in most grammar books in Korea, but I doubt if they are actually used much in reality, especially "to be frank with you". Isn't "actully" more used than that? And what about the others?

gz115)
1.To tell (you) the truth
2. To begin with
3. To be frank (with you)
4. not to mention(=not to speak of)
5. to be sure
6. to make a long story short.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think 'frankly' is more common that 'to be frank with you', but the others are common enough.

I cut rather than make a long story short.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. They're quite common - particular among people who want to avoid dangling participles, as in

'[STRIKE]Judging[/STRIKE]To judge by the weather forecast, this is a bad day for travelling.'

(Of course, that's not the only use. A lot of them are fixed sentence modifiers; they occupy some space in a conversation without involving much thought [whil the speaker marshalls his/her thoughts.)

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think 'make' is the Am Eng preference. It sounds very odd to me too.

b

Yes, we make a long story short.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Not "actually" for "to be frank with you"? Is "actually" quite different from "frankly"?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes - in speakers who care what they mean; but sometimes they are used as a general-purpose sentence-modifier, to buy time - especially in something like a media interview. ;-)

b

hombre viejo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*NOT A TEACHER* "Frank" and "frankly" are both modifiers derived from the noun "frankness" which indicates plainness and candor in the communication. "Frank" is the adjective form, as in: "We should have a frank conversation about your ideas." "Frankly" is the adverb form, as in: "Frankly speaking, I think this is a very bad idea." "Actually" is also an adverb which indicates (1) it is a current event or circumstance, or (2) it is factual - however this word lacks the emphasis of being candid and plainspoken that "frankly" does.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Actually" is used when stating something true, and usually when correcting an error or misconception.

"Frankly" is used when expressing an opinion or a fact that may be difficult to admit or difficult to hear. When one is speaking candidly.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A lot of them are fixed sentence modifiers; they occupy some space in a conversation without involving much thought [whil the speaker marshalls his/her thoughts.)

Following on from Bobk's comment above; by far the most commonly used of these expressions in BrE is "Well". Watch anyone being asked a question on television. They will almost invariably start their reply with "Well...."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
*NOT A TEACHER* "Frank" and "frankly" are both modifiers derived from the noun "frankness"
Really :-? I thought the derivation worked the other way. Silly me... and silly Online Etymology Dictionary. (Note - humour alert. The dictionary's not wrong: 'frank' predates 'frankness' by well over 200 years).
which indicates plainness and candor in the communication. "Frank" is the adjective form, as in: "We should have a frank conversation about your ideas." "Frankly" is the adverb form, as in: "Frankly speaking, I think this is a very bad idea." "Actually" is also an adverb which indicates (1) it is a current event or circumstance, or (2) it is factual - however this word lacks the emphasis
It's not just a question of 'emphasis'. The meanings are totally distinct.
of being candid and plainspoken that "frankly" does.
The order seems to me to be reversed; in fact your 'sense 1' scarcely exists in current English (although it is a very commonly used faux ami.)

b

PS Speakers of English are often unaware that actualité doesn't mean 'actuality'. It means 'truth', as Alan Clarke knew when he used the French in a Westminter debate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.