Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have my first interview for teaching position in 2 days and am required to prepare a 10 minute teaching slot as part of the interview. Any suggestions on content and what would be effective to present? I'm a fan of skills lesson and lexis rather than grammar. Pls any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Many thanks!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What age and level?

Amy Masho

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your reply.

It is going to be preformed for the interviewer and the staff. They just want to see my teaching style.

I am thinking of doing either, Intermediate or Pre-Intermediate level. But I can not decide on what to teach, thus any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Amy

Last edited:
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
United States
Hi Amy,
I think you need to come up with a theme or a language point that you want to teach. It's hard to suggest something for you with so little information.

Some starting points that I would recommend are:
-Pick a topic such as food, travel, hobbies, future goals and dreams, and look for some short conversational activities online that focus on your topic.
-Pick a grammar point or language feature such as a particular tense, phrasal verbs, reported speech, ways of giving your opinion etc. Make sure you really understand how the language feature works and what the rules for its usage are.
-Then make a plan that combines your topic with the language feature you want to cover. So for example if you are covering hobbies, you can ask your 'student' to use adverbs of frequency (often, never, sometimes).

Keep it short, sweet and simple and if you find a good idea online don't be afraid to use it. In my experience, interviewers are looking to see how well you can explain ideas and interact with others, not how original your lesson ideas are.

Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.