Does "than" mean "in comparison to" here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:

But we have always understood that when times change, so must we; that fidelity to our founding principles requires new responses to new challenges; that preserving our individual freedoms ultimately requires collective action. For the American people can no more meet the demands of today's world by acting alone than American soldiers could have met the forces of fascism or communism with muskets and militias. No single person can train all the math and science teachers we'll need to equip our children for the future, or build the roads and networks and research labs that will bring new jobs and businesses to our shores. Now, more than ever, we must do these things together, as one nation and one people. (Applause.)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Context:

But we have always understood that when times change, so must we; that fidelity to our founding principles requires new responses to new challenges; that preserving our individual freedoms ultimately requires collective action. For the American people can no more meet the demands of today's world by acting alone than American soldiers could have met the forces of fascism or communism with muskets and militias. No single person can train all the math and science teachers we'll need to equip our children for the future, or build the roads and networks and research labs that will bring new jobs and businesses to our shores. Now, more than ever, we must do these things together, as one nation and one people. (Applause.)
The construction is "no more X than Y". So, no. "Than" doesn't mean "in comparison to" - though you are making a comparison.
If I can't swim at all, I might say, "I can no more swim than fly." = "I can't swim any more than I can fly".

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The construction is "no more X than Y". So, no. "Than" doesn't mean "in comparison to" - though you are making a comparison.
If I can't swim at all, I might say, "I can no more swim than fly." = "I can't swim any more than I can fly".

Thank you.
The soldiers also need allies?

Status
Not open for further replies.