Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jan 2013
    • Posts: 4
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Usage of And conjugation

    Dear all,

    I am not sure about the the form of the noun after the usage of and in the following case.

    1. The Berlin and the Munich city
    2. The Berlin and the Munich cities

    Which one of the two is correct?

    Many thanks for your support.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,080
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Usage of And conjugation

    Quote Originally Posted by Taimoor Talpur View Post
    Dear all,

    I am not sure about the the form of the noun after the usage of and in the following case.

    1. The Berlin and the Munich city
    2. The Berlin and the Munich cities

    Which one of the two is correct?

    Many thanks for your support.
    Welcome to Using English, Taimoor. Neither one is correct I'm afraid.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jan 2013
    • Posts: 4
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Usage of And conjugation

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Welcome to Using English, Taimoor. Neither one is correct I'm afraid.
    I appreciate your prompt and worthy response. Kindly inform me about the correct structure?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,080
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Usage of And conjugation

    Quote Originally Posted by Taimoor Talpur View Post
    I appreciate your prompt and worthy response. Kindly inform me about the correct structure?
    The cities of Berlin and Munich.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jan 2013
    • Posts: 4
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Usage of And conjugation

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    The cities of Berlin and Munich.
    I didn't want to go technical that is why I asked an analogous question; but now I think I need to be more precise. The actual question I need to get an answer is
    1. The marginal and the chief ray
    or should it be
    2. The marginal and the chief rays

    I am afraid, the rays of marginal and chief do not sound correct to me.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,080
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Usage of And conjugation

    Quote Originally Posted by Taimoor Talpur View Post
    I didn't want to go technical that is why I asked an analogous question; but now I think I need to be more precise. The actual question I need to get an answer is
    1. The marginal and the chief ray
    or should it be
    2. The marginal and the chief rays

    I am afraid, the rays of marginal and chief do not sound correct to me.
    I'm afraid I don't understand what marginal and chief rays are.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,372
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Usage of And conjugation

    Yes, use "rays." There are two of them.

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Usage of And conjugation

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I'm afraid I don't understand what marginal and chief rays are.
    Neither did I, but this site tells us - and also shows us how the words are used, Taimoor,

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jan 2013
    • Posts: 4
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Usage of And conjugation

    Many thanks, bahisahab and soothingdave. I appreciate your support and consideration. Have a nice evening :)
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 23-Jan-2013 at 23:09. Reason: Changing 'thnx' to 'thanks'.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Usage of And conjugation

    Quote Originally Posted by Taimoor Talpur View Post
    I didn't want to go technical that is why I asked an analogous question
    Using the names of cities is not exactly analogous, which is why the suggested rewrite didn't work. City names don't behave the same way as your examples- they very rarely use the definite article, for instance, so you were not substituting like with like.

Similar Threads

  1. [Vocabulary] pronunciation and conjugation
    By guzhao67 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Mar-2012, 19:25
  2. [Grammar] conjugation
    By Fella in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Jan-2009, 09:48
  3. Conjugation in English
    By damas17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-Aug-2008, 12:36
  4. Conjugation in EME
    By ébauche in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-May-2008, 09:39
  5. verb conjugation
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 14-Jan-2003, 12:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •