How to express /ʌ/ in phonological Tengwar mode? Substitute that sound for .... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

backonstage

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
How to express /ʌ/ in phonological Tengwar mode? Substitute that sound for .... ?

Hello,
I'm transcribing an important English blessing for a friend into Tengwar (for those who don't know, Tengwar are the symbols used e.g. by the Elves in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings). To do this, I've followed the instructional website on the "General Use (phonological mode)" by Måns Björkman. (Sorry, I don't have enough posting to be able to post a link to that site)

However, in a Tehtar mode, there is no symbol for the sound /ʌ/ which appears 3 or 4 times throughout my text. Wherever it appears, on has to decide how to substitute that sound to get the best phonetical match.

The words in question are:

"sunlight"
"until"
"love"
"hearts"

The latter has actually the /ɑ:/ sound in it, but I understand that this is (at least almost) just a "long /ʌ/".

So, which other sounds would you choose to approximate the /ʌ/ sound in those words?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: How to express /ʌ/ in phonological Tengwar mode? Substitute that sound for .... ?

So, which other sounds would you choose to approximate the /ʌ/ sound in those words?
I don't understand the problem. I believe that

aa.gif
represents the /ɑ:/ sound in BrE heart, car, pa, and
schwa.gif
the sound BrE /ʌ/ inbut, sun love.ʌ/

backonstage

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Re: How to express /ʌ/ in phonological Tengwar mode? Substitute that sound for .... ?

can it be you're talking about a full mode where every sound (even vowels and diphthongs) is always represented by a symbol of its own?

I like the "tehtar modes" a bit more where vowels are represented by diacritics. And I haven't found a diacritic for the sounds in question.

However, do you have a link to the Tengwar mode you're referring to?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

:-? I habe no idea what any of this means, but I recognize a waste of time and energy when I see it;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.