about some "official" pronounciations that surprised me - other possibilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

backonstage

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
about some "official" pronounciations that surprised me - other possibilities?

As I just said in a different thread, I'm transcribing an English text into J.R.R. Tolkien's Tengwar symbols and have decided to go the phonological route. There is always the choice of transcribing orthographically (letter by letter) or phonologically (sound by sound).

To avoid making mistakes, I referred to the pronunciations given in the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary.
I am not a native English speaker, but at Grammar school I was always among the best students while having well-reputated teachers.

So, when looking up the words now, I was well surprised in how many cases the "official" pronunciation differed from they way I pronounced all these words throughout my life till today. :shock: In the following lines, I'll list the word, followed by my Dictionary's pronunciation, followed by the way I would have pronounced it.
I'd like to mention that I am looking for a pronunciation in a situation when reading out the words in a slow, celebratory, poetic way.

written word
Dictionary
my pronunciation
melody
/ˈmelədɪ/
/ˈmeləʊdɪ/ (when speaking slowly)
to
/tə/
/tʊ/ (regardless of the following word)
convey
/kənˈveɪ/
/kɔnˈveɪ/
your
/jɔ:r/
/jɔr/
until
/ənˈtɪl/
/ʌnˈtɪl/
peacefully
/pi:sfəlɪ/
/pi:sfʊlɪ/ (when speaking slowly)
heart
/hɑ:t/
/hɑ:rt/ ( Iwas so surprised, no /r/ sound??)

Please tell me if my pronunciation would also be right for some of these words. If so, I'd naturally stick to the pronunciation I've grown familiar with.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: about some "official" pronounciations that surprised me - other possibilities?

Your pronunciations would sound over-formal and a little unnatural in normal conversation. In many British accents, /r/ following a vowel is not pronounced unless it is itself followed by a vowel.

backonstage

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Re: about some "official" pronounciations that surprised me - other possibilities?

Ah okay, that helps me :) As I said, in the case where I need the phonological transcription, it is not meant for "normal conversation" but rather a "blessing" or a bit poetic... should remind a little of "Old English". I even think about transcribing the word "conveyed" with three syllables: /kɔnˈveɪəd/

Would, for that purpose, my transcription be okay? It shouldn't be too odd though.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

A I even think about transcribing the word "conveyed" with three syllables: /kɔnˈveɪəd/

Would, for that purpose, my transcription be okay? It shouldn't be too odd though.
That would sound very strange to me.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It would sound strange in conversation, but adding a syllable can be found in poetry, so if it's a deliberate attempt to imitate that, the extra syllable might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.