Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can someone please let me know what is this infinitive used as, in the following sentence:

One understanding is to realize that we need to work hard if we want to score well.

What part of speech is the infinitive "to realize" in the above sentence? Adjective, Adverb or Noun?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is functioning as a noun complement.

rambharosey

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Means..an adjective..correct?

rambharosey

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sure 5jj, I do understand that a noun does not mean adjective. But you said noun complement, and a Google search on noun complement landed me on this page where most respondents seem to have mentioned that a noun complement can be an adjective (or a noun).

Anyway, in this case, I understand from you that the infinitive "to realize" is a noun.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But you said noun complement, and a Google search on noun complement landed me on this page where most respondents seem to have mentioned that a noun complement can be an adjective (or a noun).
The term 'noun complement' as used by some people can refer to a noun or an adjective,
Anyway, in this case, I understand from you that the infinitive "to realize" is a noun.
I didn't say that. I said it functions as a noun (complement). The infinitive and the gerund are both parts of a verb which can function as nouns.

Status
Not open for further replies.