Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
(source: Iceberg Slim – Pimp, The story of my life)

“The steel door was half open. That screw would be out at any second to hook the shed door. There was no place to hide. It had been all for nothing. I heard a voice and the scrape of feet at the steel door. The screw was coming out into the shed! I looked up at the shed ceiling. I looked over the steel door. There was a line of rusty bars a foot long over the door flush against a grimy window. I leaped up and grabbed two of them. I swung my feet and legs up just as the screw walked in to lock the door. I was jack-knifing my legs just six inches from the top of his blue uniform cap.”

Background:

Slim tries to escape from the jailhouse. First he hides in a little depot-like room (“shed”) and plans to wait for the night there and climb over the wall in the darkness. The little shed is connected to the bath with a steel door. Slim got in a dangerous situation because a guard came into the shed to close the outer door, but the room was empty and offered no place to hide. At last Slim recognized a barred window above the steel door. He managed to grasp the bars and pull himself up completely before the guard came in.

What I do not understand in the description is the “door flush” What part of the door is this?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't think it is the phrase door flush- the bars were flush against a window (flat/a close fit) that was above the door.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's nothing like obscure, several-decades-old slang.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.