Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Do you know the origin of "monkey business " known as "fraud"? Is it because monkeys imitate something to fake others?

KK99)The con man gets living cost doing monkey business everyday.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Do you know the origin of "monkey business " known as "fraud"? Is it because monkeys imitate something to fake others?

I've never heard fraud described as "monkey business". In addition to that, your sentence is not natural English.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I adopted this sentence from a vocabulary book written by a Korean, and I can't tell if it's natural English or not, so I can't help but believe you.
So is "monkey business" not a common expression even in North America like Canada? The writer lives in Canada.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Monkey business is fine, but we don't 'do' monkey business. Monkey business is 'going on' usually.

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I corrected it on my own according to 5jj's advice.

=> The con man makes a living involved in monkey business everyday.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I corrected it on my own according to 5jj's advice.

=> The con man makes a living involved in monkey business everyday.
That's not what I advised! That is not English at all. We cannot talk about 'monkey business' as a way of earning a living. Here's how I might use it.

Postules got that contract from the ministry, but I think there was some monkey business involved.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm kind of frustrated after I came to know an example of my favorite vocabulary book is wrong, and I also doubt this sentence in the same book might be wrong as well.

ex101) She was sent to prison for trying to corrupt a policeman (with money).
This "corrupt" is used as the meaning of "buy someone to make him do what one wants by bribing him", but I'm not sure if it's a correct sentence.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I'm kind of frustrated after I came to know an example of my favorite vocabulary book is wrong, and I also doubt this sentence in the same book might be wrong as well.

This "corrupt" is used as the meaning of "buy someone to make him do what one wants by bribing him", but I'm not sure if it's a correct sentence.

"bribe" would be better.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Keannu
I agree with bhaisahab that, in this case, "bribe" would be simpler, and more specific - but that is not to say that "corrupt" is wrong. In cases of bribery involving the police or other authority figures, the noun "corruption" and the verb "to corrupt" are often used. So don't give up on your favourite vocabulary book just yet!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think one problem with using "to corrupt" is that the policeman may already be corrupt. One does hear "corrupt" for "bribe" in America, and I believe the usage exists even in American law. That's because police corruption is relatively rare in America. But there are countries where it's almost a certainty that every policeman was corrupted long before you ever met him.

Miss Jeffery

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Spain

I agree, "bribe" would be better in this sentence. Really the person doing the bribing is corrupt...

Status
Not open for further replies.