Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Nepal
Current Location
Nepal
Dear Sir/Ma'am

I want to know the use of their or it. While we make sentences or at the time of speaking.

Thanks!!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello John, and welcome to Using English.

Can you be more specific?

Do you mean "its" and "their"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please give a more helpful title to your next thread, John. Most of the posts in this forum are about grammar. 'Their or it'? would have been fine for this thread.

hombre viejo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*NOT A TEACHER* "Their" is a possessive adjective as: Their house is the biggest one on the street." "Its" is a pronoun indicating possession: Its beauty is breathtaking. Be careful to not confuse "their" with "there" or its with it's. "There" can perform several functions in a sentence but none of them are equivalent to 'their." It's, spelled with an apostrophe, is a contraction of "it is"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
*NOT A TEACHER* "Their" is a possessive adjective as: Their house is the biggest one on the street." "Its" is a pronoun indicating possession: Its beauty is breathtaking.
If their is a possessive adjective, then so is its. The the words function in the same way in your two sentences.

Personally, I prefer to think of such words as 'determiners' or 'possessives'.

hombre viejo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*NOT A TEACHER* They do have overlap in use and I agree they can both be classed as possessives. I'm not yet in agreement that "their" is a determiner by the rules of prescriptive grammar, but I see your point. The following is taken directly from Dictionary.com.
[h=2]their[/h] /ðɛər; unstressed ðər/ Show Spelled

pronoun 1. a form of the possessive case of they used as an attributive adjective, before a noun: their home; their rights as citizens; their departure for Rome

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
*NOT A TEACHER* They do have overlap in use and I agree they can both be classed as possessives. I'm not yet in agreement that "their" is a determiner by the rules of prescriptive grammar,
My point was simply that, no matter how we label them (and I am not a great labeller), we need to use the same label for 'their' and 'its' in your sentences.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
However, the original question was about "their" and "it" not "its" -- so I'm a bit confused.

hombre viejo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*NOT A TEACHER* I'm also not a careful reader. Barb_D is correct and I apologize for initiating confusion. Since 5jj weighed in on what I wrote - I'll accept his opinion from the point of view of semantics. But to the question John Carter was apparently asking - both "it" and "their" are possessive references to something or somebody mentioned before or which was otherwise understood. (referents). I believe the examples I gave are correct in terms of the eight parts of speech as we know them here in America. Thanks for the corrections and I hope John Carter understands all of this.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
- both "it" and "their" are possessive references to something or somebody mentioned before or which was otherwise understood. (referents).
No.

They closed their eyes.
It closed its eyes.

Whatever you call the words, the two I have coloured blue have possessive reference; the two I have coloured red do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.