English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

One of the idioms we are studying now is 'at the double' or 'on the double' (AmE) which means to do something very quickly.
The students were asked to give their answers to the following question:'Can you remember a time when you were ordered to get somewhere at the double?'
One of the answers given by the students was: 'Yes I can. It was last week during the exam. I came to the university to put the credit, but when I opened the bag, I realized that I forgot to record book at home. I went to home at the double.'
What the student meant is 'It was last week after the exam. I came to university to have my mark put in the record book, but ...'
Never mind the mistakes in the answer, does the word 'record book' make sense?

In this country every student is issued a small booklet or a book with lined pages. On the left page are your examination marks, on the right side are your marks, they are not actually marks-just my signature and the words 'passed' or 'failed', given at the end of the course if you do not have to sit a written exam. These record books are kept by students for four or five years, and are submitted to deans' offices upon completion of study.
I think there are no such record books in English-speaking countries.
The word 'transcript' does not apply here as you do not carry your transcripts around.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As you say, I don't think we have those here (in the UK, at least). As a result, there isn't a standard phrase for them. I would probably just call it an "Exam Results Record Book".

Status
Not open for further replies.