• Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

• Post Thanks / Like

Educational degrees

Here, in high school we generally have these three fields:
    1. Mathematics and physics (they will become engineers, mathematicians, etc.)
    2. Experimental sciences (they will become physicians, nurses, etc.)
    3. Literature and social sciences (they will become judge, lawyer, literature teachers, sociologists, etc.)
    In the university, for the first group we have BS, MS and Ph. D.
    For the third group we have BA, MA, and Ph. D.
    I don't know the ranks for the second group. Can I call them BS, MS, and Ph. Ds too?
    For medical sciences what do you use?
    Thanks,
    ata

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Educational degrees

Doctorate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go to the section on "Type"

American high schools, except certain "magnet schools" which are not very common, don't separate students. Any high school graduate should be prepared to study any of those curricula.

Additionally, a doctor, dentist, veterinarian, and lawyer require more than a 4-year degree. A nurse requires a 4-year degree.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

It seems Iran is another place where the term "high school" is (very naturally, I think) used to mean tertiary education (university / college).

In general, your first 3 to 4 year degree or diploma at a university (not a high school, which means secondary school in most countries) is an undergraduate degree. Examples include a Bachelor of Arts, a Bachelor of Science, a Bachelor of Commerce, a Bachelor of Laws, a Bachelor of Engineering, or a Bachelor of Medicine (also called a Doctor of Medicine in North America, despite being an undergrad degree :P to all those sorts of 'doctors,' Ray and the gang!;)

If you do a second degree in an unrelated field, it may well be another Bachelor's degree, or another undergrad degree.

But if you go on in the same area as your first degree, to further your studies, you will get a graduate degree, often a Master's degree, e.g. Master of Arts, Master of Science, Master of Education. These often take an additional 2 years of study, so we're dealing here with people who have 6 years of post-secondary education, which means they are well schooled.

Then, if you do a third degree in your area of specialization, which should take another 3 to 6 years, you are likely earning a Doctorate or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D in Latin and North American English).

That's what I have, which is why I love to poke fun at M.D.s as people who are not "real doctors". The joke is entirely lost on the average American or Canadian though, as they usually feel people who can heal the sick must be far more knowledgeable than people who can explain the declensions of Classical Greek.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    It seems Iran is another place where the term "high school" is (very naturally, I think) used to mean tertiary education (university / college).

That's what I have, which is why I love to poke fun at M.D.s as people who are not "real doctors". The joke is entirely lost on the average American or Canadian though, as they usually feel people who can heal the sick must be far more knowledgeable than people who can explain the declensions of Classical Greek.
    Actually the order of education here is: 1. Primary school, 2. Guidance school, 3. High school, and after you enter a university for what you mentioned.
    The same story happens here for some people who think physicians are very high class.