Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is each interpretation correct?

1. Even though you are ugly, I love you. - factual, you are actually ugly, but I love you.
2. Even if you are ugly, I'll love you. - predictive or possibility, I haven't met you, but even in the possible case of your being ugly, I 'll love you.
3. Even if you were ugly, I would love you.- counterfactual, You are pretty, but even in the opposite case, I would love you.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Looks correct to me, though the second case is awkward in spite of being acceptable. A better formulation would be "2. Even if you do prove to be ugly, I will still love you." This assumes the personality is already known, presumably through correspondence. Or, "2. If you are ugly, when we meet, I'll still love you."

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is each interpretation correct? Yes, but I would be interested in the listener's reaction to #1 and if the speaker has recovered from his/her injuries. :shock:

1. Even though you are ugly, I love you. - factual, you are actually ugly, but I love you.
2. Even if you are ugly, I'll love you. - predictive or possibility, I haven't met you, but even in the possible case of your being ugly, I 'll love you.
3. Even if you were ugly, I would love you.- counterfactual, You are pretty, but even in the opposite case, I would love you.

b.

Status
Not open for further replies.