Does "twenty-word" have any other special meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie8

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I'm reading a book and don't understand what the author means by "twenty-word master-class" in the last sentence of the paragraph shown below. Does "twenty-word" have any other special meaning in English world? Or it just simply means "20 words"?

"The American writer and graphic designer Nancy Duarte worked with Al Gore on his storytelling technique in the movie An Inconvenient Truth (2006). Duarte calls rhetorical tricks like Campbell’s jokes a STAR moment, ‘Something They Always Remember’, and when I talked to members of the audience afterwards, they certainly did remember Campbell’s anecdote about being ‘evil’. It was a twenty-word master-class in communications."

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Twenty-word has no special meaning. The author's claim is that although Campbell's remarks were only about twenty words long, they amounted to a master-class in communications.

I suppose you were puzzled by this claim because of its extreme hyperbole, its truly enormous implausibility.

Angie8

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Twenty-word has no special meaning. The author's claim is that although Campbell's remarks were only about twenty words long, they amounted to a master-class in communications.

I suppose you were puzzled by this claim because of its extreme hyperbole, its truly enormous implausibility.

Thank you again! :-D

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your thanks are appreciated, Angie, but you don't need to send them in a separate post or quote our replies back to us.

We are all happy to accept a simple click on the Like button as your acknowledgement of our help.

Rover:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.