Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Coleen says..
"Of course you feel angry. It would be hard not to after everything you’ve been through.
But your husband is right. You have to let your rage go because otherwise your mum is still winning and controlling you."

This sentence must have an antecedent proposition or hypothesis, something that someone has claimed to be factual or true. To "suggest otherwise" is to propose an alternative.

For example, I might claim that the climate change we seem to be experiencing is a result of human activities. If you disagree and propose another explanation you are "suggesting otherwise."

I got hint from probus' post that otherwise means an alternative. Also, I think that the word otherwise in the underlined part is an equivalent to alternative, isn’t it? However, I failed to analyze "because otherwise." I know the meaning, but I couldn't paraphrase them. Will you simplify them please?
I just want to know how you make "because otherwise" more clear. To be honest, I know them when they come in separate, but they are over my head when they are combined. Alas!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
... because, if you don't do this, ...

Status