Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello, I'm second grade student of English, I've just started the course of descriptive grammar and I really like it. But during our analysis of verb phrases (adjunct and sentence adverbials) I came across a problem: how to create the correct tree diagram for the sentence: "I have just arrived.". I know that adjuncts have to occur as a "sister" to verb phrase... hmm, or maybe this "just" is not an adjunct in this sentence, because when we draw a phrase marker we cannot put it as a VP's sister node... What do you think about it?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Doesn't it show time?

Marilyn12

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, it does... So it is important and is not an adjunct? Could you recommend me some books to practice and find some more information?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What definition of adjunct are you using?

Marilyn12

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
So, adjunct adverbials are words or groups of words which answer to question: when? how? what for? etc and describe the manner, time, place etc. They modify verb phrase. For example: they bought a house on a hill ; They will arrive soon. Am I right?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That's one definition, and just fits the bill for that- it shows the time (very recent past) when something happened.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would like to see the tree diagram.

Frank

Marilyn12

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, but my problem is with the tree diagram... As far I'm concerned and as I've learned during my classes, I know that an adjunct adverbial is the sister of verb phrase so it must be shown as an adjacent node to the verb phrase. But in this case I don't know how to draw the phrase marker to not destroy the structure of the whole phrase, because just stands between the auxiliary and the lexical verb...

Status
Not open for further replies.