[General] Does this sentence sound nature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
We rented a huge venue in our local building, so all the mandatory sports are going to be confined to it.

Any alteration to this sentence cause it seems to be a bit unnatural.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We rented a huge venue in our local building, so all the mandatory sports is going to be confined to it.

Any alteration to this sentence cause it seems to be a bit unnatural.

Thanks in advance.

For a start, why have you followed "sports" with "is"? And what does "mandatory sports" mean?

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Well, I have a writing to do which is about 'The school is going to make a compulsory PE every day, you were chosen to write a letter to the parents to inform them about it'. one of the details that I should mention is where the activities/sports are going to be held. that's it.I did write this phrase , but actually I think it's a bit awkward, so what do you think? do you have any other suggestions??

Thanks in advance. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So this is homework?

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Nope, I have to do at least 3 writings a day to enhance my skills.In addition to this, I have other homework, like Grammar and vocabulary. What is your opinion about the sentence??

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It sounds like homework to me.

You should let your teacher see it first. Ask us again if you don't understand any of his/her corrections.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You said "Well, I have a writing to do which is about 'The school is going to make a compulsory PE every day, you were chosen to write a letter to the parents to inform them about it'."

That sounds as if you have been given this task by a teacher or a tutor. You said "I have to do at least 3 writings a day ..." Who told you to do that? And who will check that you have done them?

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
The writings is in my pastpapers and who check them friends of mine, who got higher mark than mine. my tutor doesn't mark them correctly, so I have stopped giving them my work, and I only do the Grammar and Vocab. work with them, but why all this? I want to know whether it's right or not!! that's it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We have rented a large space in our building to hold our PE classes.

Last edited by a moderator:

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Saloom said he is doing the exercise on his own initiative and is getting his friend to check it for him. He has not expressed it very well but I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

We rented a huge venue in our local building, so all the mandatory sports are going to be confined to it.

venue in our local building - this is vague. What do you mean exactly? what local building?
mandatory sports - vague again, the compulsory PE sessions?
confined to it - wrong use of the word 'confine'. You can say : We rented a (place) to accomodate/hold the activities/sports

I suggest you keep your sentence simple by avoiding words like venue, mandatory, confine.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.