Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Oct 2012
    • Posts: 2
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    To Strike and To Hit

    Hi everyone,

    Can someone tell me the difference between the verbs to strike and to hit

    I have teaching practise in a few days so I will be grateful if you can give me some ideas on this.

    And if anyone knows the best way to teach to Strike to students.

    Shall I use pictures, which examples etc

    Thanks

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,086
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: To Strike and To Hit

    Quote Originally Posted by AB33 View Post
    Hi everyone,

    Can someone tell me the difference between the verbs to strike and to hit

    I have teaching practise in a few days so I will be grateful if you can give me some ideas on this.

    And if anyone knows the best way to teach to Strike to students.

    Shall I use pictures, which examples etc

    Thanks
    Have you looked them up in a dictionary? If you have, you will have found that they can mean more or less the same but they each have other meanings.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,373
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: To Strike and To Hit

    The words are basically synonyms. Except in baseball where a strike is the opposite of a hit.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: To Strike and To Hit

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    The words are basically synonyms. Except in baseball where a strike is the opposite of a hit.
    Well, not exactly. In baseball a "strike" is the opposite of a "ball" (i.e. not the physical object/entity; rather a call the umpire makes when the ball [physical object] is outside the strike zone).

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,373
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: To Strike and To Hit

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    Well, not exactly. In baseball a "strike" is the opposite of a "ball" (i.e. not the physical object/entity; rather a call the umpire makes when the ball [physical object] is outside the strike zone).
    Yeah, but when you completely miss the ball while swinging, it's a strike and not a hit.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,997
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: To Strike and To Hit

    And, of course, "to strike" can mean "to refuse to work" for some reason, usually to get something you want or to show your opposition to something that has happened, is happening or is going to happen.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: To Strike and To Hit

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Yeah, but when you completely miss the ball while swinging, it's a strike and not a hit.
    Well, I cannot take exception with that statement, but you can hit the ball and it becomes a strike if the result is that it does not hit the ground in the field of play.
    However, I would still argue that "a strike" is not the opposite of "a hit" if for no other reason than the umpire may call either "a strike" or (in my opinion, the opposite) "a ball" without the batter swinging his/her bat.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-May-2012, 14:08
  2. [Idiom] hit home runs/hit singles
    By NotMeantToBe in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Nov-2010, 14:32
  3. hit a sit or hit a seat
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2008, 19:51
  4. a strike
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-Sep-2008, 15:48
  5. strike
    By blacknomi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2004, 20:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •