"Which, I might add, is not the same as resignation. Nor will mere tolerance be ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
"Which, I might add, is not the same as resignation. Nor will mere tolerance be ..."

"But you’ll probably feel a lot better about the situation—and yourself—if you can cultivate such an attitude of acceptance. Which, I might add, is not the same as resignation. Nor will mere tolerance be of much help here, since such a begrudging attitude implies substantial internal tension."

The word nor"is used after a negative statement when adding another negative statement," Macmillan Dictionary said. But when it preceded by full stop it made me confused. When I checked the dictionary, I didn’t see a period after the previous statement. When it says that the word nor comes after negative statement, are the comma and full stop interchangeable? In the dictionary it is preceded by comma not period.

P.S.: Please excuse my ignorance because it seems to me as if it were a negative phrase because the subject (tolerance) and the auxiliary verb (will) are reversed.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Re: "Which, I might add, is not the same as resignation. Nor will mere tolerance be .

"But you’ll probably feel a lot better about the situation—and yourself—if you can cultivate such an attitude of acceptance. Which, I might add, is not the same as resignation. Nor will mere tolerance be of much help here, since such a begrudging attitude implies substantial internal tension."

The word nor"is used after a negative statement when adding another negative statement," Macmillan Dictionary said. But when it preceded by full stop it made me confused. When I checked the dictionary, I didn’t see a period after the previous statement. When it says that the word nor comes after negative statement, are the comma and full stop interchangeable? In the dictionary it is preceded by comma not period.

P.S.: Please excuse my ignorance because it seems to me as if it were a negative phrase because the subject (tolerance) and the auxiliary verb (will) are reversed.
The first sentence is properly written "an attitude of acceptance, which, I might add, is not the same as resignation."
That is, resignation is not the same as acceptance. So, the rest means "Resignation will not be much help, nor will mere tolerance be."

Status
Not open for further replies.