Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Hello,

I have to write an motivation letter in order to be admitted to the University of Utrecht for a liberal arts and sciences study but I got stuck on a few points. I hope you can help me.

- I got stuck on the introduction I am not sure if this is a right way to start my motivation letter.
- I am not sure if my paragraphs are divided in a logical way but I don't know how to change that.
- Are some things to tedious or is it fine this way?
- Are things missing?

Dear Sir, Madam,

I would like to take this opportunity to provide further background information in support of my application for entrance to the liberal arts and sciences program at the University college of Utrecht. I graduated from high school in 2012 and have taken a gap year this year to go travelling and working. I am a sociable, motivated and ambitious person which are qualities that fit the University college Utrecht. A University I would love to go to because of the possibilty to combine your own bachelor with interessting courses in a social and internationaly orientated environnement.

Currently I am taking a gap year for mutiple reasons. First of all I wanted to take my time to figure out which study fits me best as a person and I wanted it to be a well considered choice. Second there were various activities I wanted to do before going to college. One of these is a challeging opportunity I got from my current employer; Albert Heijn. They offered me a job as one of the heads of the checkout section. Currently I am still in training, In this training I acquired several important skills such as how to deal with stress, new communication skills, taking responsibility and leading skills. Nowadays I am still in the proces off developing myself and learning things that will help me in my future life. Besides my job I wanted a new sort of challenge which I found as a volunteer at a foundation called Handje helpen, they offer help to children and adults who are diseased or handicaped. Another thing I desire to do this year is going travelling, I love seeing and learning more about different cultures. In my opninion this gap year is a interesting experience where I have had the time to think about my future. After the open day of UCU I knew for sure, liberal arts and sciences is the perfect place for me. It is challenging, creative, open-minded and enriching.

In Secondary school I chose to do the Health & Nature profile with the subject economics, geography and french. In these years I was most interested in the science courses. Therefore I am most drawn to the courses in the science department, especially Biomedical, health, biology and physics. Nevertheless I think social sciences are interessting as well, I like to learn more about them because I have not done that in highschool. It is hard to say which one I will choose for my major, therefore I hope I get the chance to find out which one suits me best. I am eager to learn more in the science department because it really interests me and I want to discover more in the social science department because I believe it would suit my social personality and interessest in how people think and act.

In the schoolyear of 2010 I was sent to asthma center Davos in Switserland for four months. This was one of the most important experiences for me of the past years. The main reason why I went there was to improve my health but in order to that I had to learn many things about myself . I had the chance to discover exactly who I am, what I want, what my weak and strongs points are, what I want to achieve in my future and where I lay my boundaries. But most of all this experience made me a independent and motivated person because they made me realise that I can achieve the things I want. Besides that it was very interessting to have an international experience and learn about another culture. The things I learned about myself have partly influenced my descision in choosing liberal arts and sciences, I am a very creative, sociable person who likes to learn new to things and be chalenged and that's why I believe University college is the best place for me.

One of the things that appeals the most to me is the different approach liberal arts and sciences has on the various disciplines. In my opinion bringing together different disciplines is a much more creative and interessting way of learning than concentrating on one discipline. I am interested in a broad range of subjects and eager to learn more about the different disciplines. To be able to create yout own bachelor is a very motivating way of learning and would be perfect for me because I like to walk my own path. Another motivating part for me is the close interaction you have with the other students, for me working together can be a more effective way of studying. I am also looking forward to the contact with foreign countries and people, I would love to spend one or more semesters in a different country.

To conclude, I would be very pleased to be allowed at the university college Utrecht. At this university I would like to learn how to combine different displiscines and learn new things in a social and international orientated environnement. I am very motivated and ambitious, and therefore I think liberal arts and sciences at the university college utrecht would be the best place for me.

Thank you for considering my application and for your time.

Sincerely,

Rachèl

Rachel0903

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
I am sorry, I think I put this in the wrong section. I am new here so still looking around where to put this post!

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Do you call this a motivation letter or personal statement?

not a teacher

Rachel0903

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Well I am a litte confused because I am applying to 2 different Universities but for the same study. The first one says it needs to be a personal statement and the other one says a Motivation letter. But in both are required the same things

Status
Not open for further replies.