Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Which sentence is the correct one in the following cases as for the use of the?:

After a BA degree in History at Barcelona University or "at the Barcelona University"

She was nominated at Goya Awards or "at the Goya Awards"

The film was introduced at 58[SUP]th[/SUP] Berlin International Film Festival or "at the 58[SUP]th[/SUP] Berlin International Film Festival"

The film was released at Cannes International Film Festival or "at the Cannes International Film Festival"

She inaugurates the exhibition at Santa Mònica Art Center or "at the Santa Mònica Art Center"

She took on the content in Spanish Pavilion or "in the Spanish Pavilion"

He performed at Romea Theatre in Barcelona or "at the Romea Theatre in Barcelona"

He was interviewed in Catalan tv magazine ‘Les 1000 i una.’ or "in the Catalan tv magazine ‘Les 1000 i una.’"

And keeping the Spanish word Teatro (Theatre):

This piece to be released at Teatro Villarroel for Barcelona Grec'99 Festival or "at the Teatro Villarroel for the Barcelona Grec'99 Festival"

Thank You very much

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This looks like homework.

If it isn't, tell us what you think first.

Rover

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
This looks like homework.

If it isn't, tell us what you think first.

Rover

Not at all. It has always been a nightmare to me this "the"

My try in red:

After a BA degree in History at Barcelona University or "at the Barcelona University"

She was nominated at Goya Awards or "at the Goya Awards"

The film was introduced at 58[SUP]th[/SUP] Berlin International Film Festival or "at the 58[SUP]th[/SUP] Berlin International Film Festival"

The film was released at Cannes International Film Festival or "at the Cannes International Film Festival"

She inaugurates the exhibition at Santa Mònica Art Center or "at the Santa Mònica Art Center"

She took on the content in Spanish Pavilion or "in the Spanish Pavilion"

He performed at Romea Theatre in Barcelona or "at the Romea Theatre in Barcelona"

He was interviewed in Catalan tv magazine ‘Les 1000 i una.’ or "in the Catalan tv magazine ‘Les 1000 i una.’"

And keeping the Spanish word Teatro (Theatre):

This piece to be released at Teatro Villarroel for Barcelona Grec'99 Festival or "at the Teatro Villarroel for the Barcelona Grec'99 Festival"

My proposals have more of intuition than certainty. It's my nemesis

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Good effort!

I would just change #5 and #9 (if they'd been numbered).

Rover

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your thanks are appreciated, but you don't need to send them in a separate post or quote our replies back to us.

We are all happy to accept a simple click on the Like button as your acknowledgement of our help.

Rover:-D

Bide

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
China
I would be very interested to hear anyone's reasons for the use/non-use of 'the' here or elsewhere. Is there any rhyme or reason? The above examples would serve nicely as 'casos en punto'.

Status
Not open for further replies.