Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What are the differences in usage of phrases "by myself" and "on my own"? (if any)
As I understand I can do smth "by myself" and "on my own" and this mean the same.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Put 'by myself and on my own' in the Google Custom Search box at the top of the page and you'll find links to previous discussions on this topic.

Rover

Pierce111

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I have found post regarding this subject on the forum and there is some basic explenation but I would like to get known some more details. The answer was:
I will do it myself = 'I will do it, no-one else will.'
I will do it by myself = 'I will do it, I don't need any help.'
I will do it on my own = 'I will do it, I don't need any help.'

Regarding first case, what does it mean: "no-one else will"?
Does it mean that I am the only person skilled enough to do it? Some kind of boasting?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have found post regarding this subject on the forum and there is some basic explenation but I would like to get known some more details. The answer was:

Regarding first case, what does it mean: "no-one else will"?
Does it mean that I am the onle person skilled enough to do it? Some kind of boasting?

It means, I will do it because for some reason, either lack of skill or lack of willingness, nobody else is going to do it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have asked my children to take care of a household chore. They continue to watch TV. "Never mind!" I say angrily. "I will do it myself!"

I want to create a playlist on iTunes. My daughter can do it in 10 seconds. I have to struggle each time. She says she'll help me. "No thanks," I say. I will do it by myself. I need to learn how to do it without you."

Status
Not open for further replies.