Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Aaland
Hi all ^^
I've been looking for a topic related to linguistics to write about . This is my last year and in my subject senior capstone , we have to choose something to talk about either by making an experiment related to the language or by finding articles about it and talking about it :). I found many topics about pragmatics but since they are many I could not know what to choose. Anyways , is there anyone here is willing to suggest for me any topic :)
Your answer would be appreciated ^^
Thanks in advance

Coldmoon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Aaland
:lol: well , I guess many viewed this thread but no reply !! it is fine :cool:
I found a topic which is about " INTERLANGUAGE AND ERROR FOSSILIZATION " , does it sound a good one ?

cloa513

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
How about the Lexicological flaws of Dictionaries particularly for ESL Speakers. How even the Oxford Advanced Learner Dictionary includes Welsh Words and associated exotic words that would never be used in everyday English. Every dictionary in every language e.g. Japanese seemed to flawed in this way but that is no excuse. The ordinary dictionary should be cleansed of such words and those words left for technical/specialty dictionaries.

smitha nayak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
My research deals with language variation and change in its broadest perspective. As well as an active research programme investigating variation in situations of language and dialect contact, I have long-standing interests in the ways social ideologies affect language use and perceptions of language users. In particular, I am interested in ideologies of gender and language. My work often combines quantitative methods with qualitative analysis to the mutual benefit of both, I hope.

My current research is mainly focused on variation and change in the N'kep speaking community of Hog Harbour, Vanuatu. This work is supported by a grant from the Endangered Languages Research Project (2010-2013) and involves basic descriptive work on the community's language, with a sociolinguistic perspective on language variation. The community is concerned about language attrition in the face of pressure from Bislama and English. This project is a welcome return to Vanuatu for me: I conducted fieldwork for my PhD in 1994-95 in Santo township and on Malo island, and I have come back to Vanuatu regularly in the years since.

I have other ongoing corpus-based projects looking at language contact/creolisation: one focuses on the creole spoken in Bequia [St Vincent and the Grenadines] (with James Walker, York University, Canada); another focuses on the acquisition of language variation in teenage migrants in Edinburgh and London (with Erik Schleef, University of Manchester).

Status
Not open for further replies.