Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is this a nickname made by the writer or a common one? I think it probably means someone who made a revolutionary success despite their limitations like age or something. Moses was a leader in the Bible. So it probably stands for great leadership or pioneership.

gz139)Anna Mary Robertson told her friend, "I wish I were an artist!" The friend answered, "Are you crazy?" So Anna became a farmer. After retiring, she began painting. She painted very well. She said, "I wish I hadn't listened to my friend's advice! I'd have started painting earlier!" Today we know Anna as "Grandma Moses."

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I can't see anything related to the historic figure in the Bible on her profile. It's just because her husband's name is "Moses", I guess.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would normally assume that a name like that were simply someone's surname, not a nickname, Biblical or otherwise.

The Wikipedia piece, without stating that she was married, refers to her as having "Robertson Moses" as her surname and that she exhibited as "Mrs Moses" before being referred to in the press as "Mother Moses" and "Grandma Moses".

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

The Wikipedia entry says, under "Early Life": In 1887, at the age of 27, she married a "hired man", Thomas Salmon Moses, and the couple established themselves on a farm in Virginia where they spent nearly two decades.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Aha. I missed that when I skimmed it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.