Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I am an English teacher and I have a class in which I want to experience my new method.
I think if we take a part of the class for making a play (theater), students will be more interested in learning and they can feel the language in a better way.:up:
I need to choose an interesting play for my class that be about 5-10 minutes.
I would be really grateful if you could address me a play to download.
Thank you all,
ata

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What age and level are your students?

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What age and level are your students?
I would be grateful if you gave me your favorite plays. Because I have a range of different people in different classes. I think all your suggestions will be useful for me.
Thanks again.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know any plays that are that short, but perhaps you can do a short scene from a longer play.
Aresenic and Old Lace is fun and funny.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
United States
This is a great idea! I've read a lot of research recently about how performing and rehearsing can really motivate students. Plus, it's good for their confidence, fluency, and pronunciation.
I find it pretty hard to suggest a play without knowing the age or level of your students though. I teach pre-K to grade 3 students, so I often use fairy tales. For that age group, The Little Red Hen is good as it has a lot of repeated lines ('Who will help me cut the wheat?' 'Not me!' 'Not me!' 'Not me!' etc). But that would obviously be entirely inappropriate if you have adult advanced learners!
Have you thought about having the students write their own play? I like to have them do their own version of a famous story or movie that they are all familiar with. I can still remember when we made our own version of Grease in Grade 6. I felt like it was the highlight of my school life at the time. Having them retell a familiar story also means that they don't have to come up with a storyline, and you can have a class 'movie night' as 'preparation', which is always fun.
Good luck!
-Charlotte

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you 2, D, and Charlotte, I'm reading your suggestions seriously these days and I should say all of them are great for my different classes. Please don't forget to tell me any play if you find or remember any in the future.
By the way easier and shorter stories are much better because the play shouldn't take much time of the classes.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Furthermore, since there are different versions of your plays, it would be useful if you linked to the play-script you recommended.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, even fairy tales can work for adults, if you invite them to change them to be more modern. Think how much fun you can have with the three little pigs, if the wolf was a heavy smoker and couldn't blow any of the houses down, and the pigs instead help him quit smoking and they become friends.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Actually, even fairy tales can work for adults, if you invite them to change them to be more modern. Think how much fun you can have with the three little pigs, if the wolf was a heavy smoker and couldn't blow any of the houses down, and the pigs instead help him quit smoking and they become friends.
Yes, not only will it be fun, but also accepted by any different cultures. You know, I got it that a lot of English plays should be changed or censored to be suitable for our classes here. But fairy tales are all nice and adaptable.
Thank you and please don't stop giving me your best plays or site addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.