Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,
I have to write a letter to a dignitary. I had written him a letter first inviting him for our event, to which he replied that he wont be able to come . So I have to respond to his letter first thanking him for responding back and secondly asking him if he could suggest someone else 's name for the same. the letter written by me is as follows. Since it is a formal letter, I get confused with language part
The letter is as follows:

Dear/Respected (name to be mentiond or not)Sir,
I am very thankful to you for your response(how to make this statement formal).
It is indeed unfortunate for us not to have you here for our MUNA. It would be really helpful,if we could get references of someone from you, whom we could approach for the same role. I also wanted to ask for your permission to meet you once and have a discussion with you regarding our event and issues. With we being just a novice in organizing MUNA, a right advice is all what we are missing, for an effective execution of our event .

Thanking you

Yours Sincerely,
ashima jain

jainaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If someone could respond back at the earliest it would be helpful

Thank You

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Dear/[STRIKE]Respected[/STRIKE] Mr/Mrs/Miss (name of person),

I am very thankful to you for your response (how to make this statement formal).
Thank you for your letter dated .... informing us that you will not be able to attend and officiate at our MUNA.

It is indeed unfortunate for us not to have you here for our MUNA.
It would be really helpful,if we could get references of someone from you, whom we could approach for the same role.
We were wondering if, with your good connections, you could suggest another person whom we could approach for the same role.
(*It is important for you to describe the role)

I also wanted to ask for your permission to meet you once and have a discussion with you regarding our event and issues.
We would also like to seek an appointment with you for discussion and consultation regarding our event and issues.

With we being just a novice in organizing MUNA, a right advice is all what we are missing, for an effective execution of our event .
We realise we are a novice in organizing an event like MUNA and we need all the advice and help from experienced people like yourself, to make the event a success.

Thanking you

not a teacher

jainaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
thank you...but isnt it sounding a little informal to send it to dignitary who is at a very high post of company
???

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you, but [STRIKE]isnt[/STRIKE] doesn't it sound[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] a little informal to send [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] to dignitary who [STRIKE]is at[/STRIKE] holds a very high post of company?[STRIKE]??[/STRIKE]

I don't think it's informal at all. There is a limit to how formal you can make a letter without sounding ridiculous.

Informal would be:

"Hi XXX

Thanks for letting us know you can't make our event. Can you let us know who you reckon might be able to do it? We'd still like to get together with you for a chat about our event. We're pretty new at this so we think you could give us loads of really good tips.

Cheers."

Please note the amendments I made to your post in red above. We don't use more than one punctuation mark at a time (except when using an ellipsis when appropriate).

Status
Not open for further replies.