Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Doesn't this mean "only three things" not "not more than three things = 1 or 2 or 3"? So isn't the distinction between "no more than" and "not more than" clear?

gu66)People are able to concentrate on several items at a time if those items are of the same color, according to research. That's why players at major sporting events wear identical uniforms. It enables the spectators to overcome human' natural limit of tracking no more than three things at once...

death

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
no more than three thing at once means 1 or 2 or 3 and i think there is no distinction. they are the same.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I don't think so, they are different!

hetzer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi, these two phrases are often seen in the examinations.

Yes. "no more than" is "only" and "not more than" is "as much as"

I have no less than $5,000 today.( = I have as much as $5,000 today.)
We had no less than / no fewer than 250 guests at the party.( = We had as many as 250 guests at the party.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"no more than three things at once" means 1 or 2 or 3 and i think there is no distinction. they are the same.
Your profile says that you are an English teacher. Please use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spelling in your posts. Learners believe that what is posted here by teachers is correct. We normally write in words numbers up to 'ten'.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think so, they are different!

No, they aren't. "No more than three" means 0, 1, 2 or 3.

"Not more than three" means 0, 1, 2 or 3.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Are you sure? If what you said is true, I have been interpreting so many "no more than" wrong so far.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you think "no more than three" means?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"Only three", but some Americans seem to think it as same as "not more than", which gives me the idea of variety or diversity of language.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Where did you get the idea that it means "only three?" The language sets an upper limit.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No more than three = Not more than three.
Three is the maximum number of whatever we're talking about. There could be one, two or three, but no more.

You can bring no more than three guests to the party.
means:
You can come alone, or you can bring one, two or three guests to the party. You cannot bring four, five etc guests.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In other threads about this kind of topic, I have seen that "no more than" is different from "not more than", and now I find quite the opposite here. I feel ashamed of having lied to Koreans about this so far, and I feel a great pity on that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you can find those threads and give the links to them, I would like to read them.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If "no more than" is equal to "not more than", then should the following examples be corrected?

1.She is no more than a whore (ie she is as bad as a whore, before) => She is equal to or less than a whore(now)
2.She is no less than a saint (ie she is as good as a saint, before) => She is equal to or more than a saint.(now)
3.She is no more beautiful than Liz Taylor.(She is as beautiful as Liz Taylor, before) => She is equally beautiful or less beautiful than Liz Talyor.(now)

* "Before" means my previous interpretation, while "now", the current interpretation according to your advice.
* I'll try to find the related threads and let you know later.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My grammar book says the following.
ex)I have no more than 2 dollars. Treat me! (no more than = only)
I have no less than 50 dollars. I'll treat you. = I have as much as 50 dollars.

If this is a fake, and they have faked me so far, I'd bettet abandon this book. I don't know where they got this idea and wrote this. Did Korean or Japanese grammar book writers create their own English grammar?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If "no more than" is equal to "not more than", then should the following examples be corrected?

1.She is no more than a whore (ie she is as bad as a whore, before) => She is equal to or less than a whore(now)
2.She is no less than a saint (ie she is as good as a saint, before) => She is equal to or more than a saint.(now)
3.She is no more beautiful than Liz Taylor.(She is as beautiful as Liz Taylor, before) => She is equally beautiful or less beautiful than Liz Talyor.(now)

* "Before" means my previous interpretation, while "now", the current interpretation according to your advice.
* I'll try to find the related threads and let you know later.

There is really not a lot of difference when you are not talking about numbers. For instance, #1 is basically saying that she is a whore and nothing more than that.

#2 says she is a saint or even better.

When discussing numbers the value given is a limit, as we have said earlier. If you have "no more than 2 dollars" then 2 dollars is the maximum you have. You might have less.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Only three", but some Americans seem to think it as same as "not more than", which gives me the idea of variety or diversity of language.
I don't think being American has anything to do with it. They mean the same.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Thanks a lot! I admit that I have been perceiving the difference between "no more than" and "not more than" wrong so far, but I have one last question regarding 1 to 3. Numbers can have boundary, so I can estimate the range.
But for 1 to 3 above, as you said,
in 1, does it mean "she<= whore" or just "she = whore"? If you want to say equality, you would say "she is as bad as a whore". What is the difference between "She is no more than a whore" and "she is as bad as a whore"?
I'd like to ask the same thing for 2 and 3, but if I know 1, 2 and 3 will be automatically solved.

2. Can I also ignore and disregard so many grammar books' description in Korea like this? I don't know where they got this idea.
I have no more than 2 dollars. Treat me! (no more than = only)
I have no less than 50 dollars. I'll treat you. = I have as much as 50 dollars.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not many will worry about such a fine point. The gist is that you are saying she is a whore. Technically, it is saying that she is, at best, a whore.

Status
Not open for further replies.