Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:) I've noticed in critical thinking the same thought is done in critical writing. An order has to be maintained. Could that ordered be maintained differently than (abc/123)? Either in a word or sentence without explanation of another sentence? Like Embed a point within a (eclipse) or a link, like the expression apples and oranges are two different fruits and not one fruit.

Shortening the piece for a better understanding? in critical writing it seems the writer does not want to be misunderstood and is arguing the issue of pure logic. If person (a) has there own style as does person (b) and they both get there points across wouldn't that be acceptable as well? Paul

Last edited:

pljames

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see a problem with written language. The reader assumes what the writer wrote by there teachings of their language. Any difference in the understanding by the reader is totally the readers choice. I write Houseton you interpret Houston. I understand. Since people are taught different ways to write by their own style they interpret the same way.

I see the subject as the epitome of the whole piece. I write to inform not to entertain. Thank you for your patients and understanding. There is no perfect way to be understood. Critique this piece for me please. Paul

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I completely disagree that the reader "chooses" to misunderstand the writer.

It's the writer's job to write unambiguous sentences if "informing" is the goal.

Patience vs patients - you might want to look those words up.

Last edited:

pljames

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Barb-d,
Excellent answer. That's my argument the meaning of one words understood different ways. I am always looking for one word which epitomizes all the synonyms in one word. Is that possible? But when using unambiguous words wouldn't that misdirect the reader from the task of interpreting more than one word? Paul

Last edited:

pljames

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Barb-d,
You are the first one to give me the word ambiguous. Why would anyone use one word to mean several words from the one word ambiguous. If that's the case wouldn't it be easier just to use multiple synonyms instead? Also, could a person link the ambiguous word to a link like dictionary for extra meanings for the one ambiguous word? On the last thread the two words patients and patients grammarly let me down. Paul

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Paul, I am not talking about individual words. I'm talking about sentence structure.

I saw him in the park.
What does that mean?
If I said "I sat with my binoculars in the high-rise across the street and I saw him in the park" you know.
If I said "I was having a great time at our picnic and playing wiffle ball when I saw him in the park"
But as an isolated statement, it's not clear. It's the writer's job to make sure that mutliple interpretations are not posible - if clarity is your goal.

pljames

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Barb-D,
You have given me what I am looking for, unambiguous words. I am still confused about writing with each paragraph being a independent story. I write to inform also too be informed and share my knowledge with others and get knowledge back. I am leaning toward philosophy as my whole discipline for getting answers to my questions and still outline my argument about being understood. You are correct I want to be precise and clear when writing. Thank you. You have enlightened me greatly. Paul

Stephanie S

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Malta
I think it depends on the style of the writer. Some writers strive for clarity, and others prefer to be more ambiguous.

It also depends on the intention of the writer. Some writers wish to tell a story and make a point they have already decided. Others wish to relay a collection of circumstances and allow the reader to draw his own conclusions.

As a reader, I prefer a balance somewhere in between. I hope that the writer of what I read actually had a story to tell and a point to relay, and then I can decide if I agree with it or not. If it's too vague, it feels like a waste of time reading it, like it means nothing, or could mean anything. On the other hand, if it's too clear, it can come across as being didactic or preachy. I think a good writer can cause a reader to "discover" his points through the conversations and events of his story.

Stephanie
(not a teacher, but sometimes a writer, and always a reader)

pljames

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Stephanie,
" Others wish to relay a collection of circumstances and allow the reader to draw his own conclusions"
Excellent answer. I write to inform and learn. I am drawn to Wikipedia. What kind of writing is that? Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.