Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

I need some help with the following two lines.

"By the end of 2011, the area of the Energy-Efficient Buildings had totaled up to ____ million square meters, the scale of which had ranked the top of the country. Accounting for ____% of the total area of buildings in the country, the area of the Energy-Efficient Buildings had been much higher than the national level."

The above lines are a part of a presentation. According to this video past perfect is used in reported speech. But I am confused about whether it is OK to use "had ranked" / "had been" here, or should it be past simple - "ranked" / "were".

Please note: I have asked a different question regarding the above lines here. The question is about the usage of 'top of the country' or 'top in the country'. I hope it is OK to post these as two separate posts. If not, please close this and I will include this question in the earlier post.

Thank you

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

Can someone please help with this one?

Thank you

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are issues with the whole thing.

What does this mean? the scale of which had ranked the top of the country]
What does this mean? the area of the Energy-Efficient Buildings had been much higher than the national level - higher than what?

Do you mean energy-efficient new construction compared to normal new construction? You can't be comparing it to all buildings in the entire city, can you?

As for the sentences, I can't see a need for past perfect, but without knowing what you mean to say, it's hard to correct.

If this is a presentation (i.e., a PowerPoint-type slide), these sentences are way too long.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There are issues with the whole thing.

What does this mean? the scale of which had ranked the top of the country]
What does this mean? the area of the Energy-Efficient Buildings had been much higher than the national level - higher than what?

Do you mean energy-efficient new construction compared to normal new construction? You can't be comparing it to all buildings in the entire city, can you?

As for the sentences, I can't see a need for past perfect, but without knowing what you mean to say, it's hard to correct.

If this is a presentation (i.e., a PowerPoint-type slide), these sentences are way too long.

Barb_D, thank you for responding. This is a translation by someone and I was helping in proofreading it. So I am not very clear about the intended meaning.

I am not quite sure about the 'scale of' part.

>Do you mean energy-efficient new construction compared to normal new construction?

I think this is the intended meaning.

Thank you regarding your feedback about long sentences. I don't know if this is a PPT presentation or some kind of report.

Status
Not open for further replies.