Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello, I'd like to ask about these examples from my textbook:
1."I usually practise for five hours a week. At the moment I am practising for the concert so I practise for three hours every day."
and
2. "When she is getting ready for a match she trains every day."

Here the usage of present simple tense (verbs in bold) seems slightly awkward to me as the situation appears to be temporary.
Could anyone provide a detailed and convincing explanation for or against? I am confused as
these were the answers provided by the answer key.Thank you so much for yur help.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In your two sentences, the situations denoted by the present simple are not presented as temporary. In the first, the progressive 'I am practising' is possible - it emhasises the limited duration of the period of practising. In the second, 'she is training' is very unlikely; the sentence is introduced by 'when', which suggests 'every time that'.

Tom35

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In your two sentences, the situations denoted by the present simple are not presented as temporary. In the first, the progressive 'I am practising' is possible - it emhasises the limited duration of the period of practising. In the second, 'she is training' is very unlikely; the sentence is introduced by 'when', which suggests 'every time that'.

Thank you for your help. Still one more issue remains (in my head:). How is that possible in the first sentence that the duration of the period of practising is not limited? Sentence starts with 'at the moment', so how can this practising for three hours every day be a permanent action? I can't get it. Similarly in the second example 'when she is getting ready' (suggests a temporary situation to me), why on earth the other part 'she trains every day' is sort of permanent? Why such a split is possible within one sentence and one situation? This looks like a contradiction to me. Could you refer me to some grammar rules I do not know? Best regards and thank you for your help in advance.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you for your help. Still one more issue remains (in my head:). How is that possible in the first sentence that the duration of the period of practising is not limited? Sentence starts with 'at the moment', so how can this practising for three hours every day be a permanent action? I can't get it. Similarly in the second example 'when she is getting ready' (suggests a temporary situation to me), why on earth the other part 'she trains every day' is sort of permanent? Why such a split is possible within one sentence and one situation? This looks like a contradiction to me. Could you refer me to some grammar rules I do not know? Best regards and thank you for your help in advance.

Did you actually read 5jj's answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.