Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It would be fantastic if those were his exes' names though you were right to think it is unlikely that anyone would splash their exes' names in a public forum.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had forgotten my antepenultimate wife (that marriage didn't last, I am happy to say). Emma Spydas also retained her maiden name, without the addition of mine. My current fiancée, Ms Werldwaid hasn't made up her mind yet.

Now I understand why, in another post and on another topic, you agreed that beds were only for sleeping. :shock:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
one in lac .
Note that 'one in lac/lakh' will be understood by fewer than one in lac/lakh people outside India/Pakistan/Bangla Desh. The word 'lac/lakh' meaning '100,000', does not exist in American, Australian, British, Canadian, Irish, New Zealand, etc English.

Just to reassure you, aachu - I have in real life been married only twice. My current wife (whose name escapes me at the moment) and I remain on friendly terms with my first wife and her t[STRIKE]hing[/STRIKE] husband.

ps. My surname really is Webb.

Last edited:

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Oh, I thought lac/lakh was an English word used in Britain. I thought it came to India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh via the British, who colonized the region between 1857-1947 . I stand corrected-It's not a British word but a local word for a tenth of a million.
[Hope, 'I stand corrected' is an appropriate phrase/idiom here]

Nice to know your real surname and to know something about your life. Wish you a wonderful life, 5jj.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Oh, I thought lac/lakh was an English word used in Britain.
My Hobson-Jobson (1886) has the word as 'lack', and says that it comes, via the Hindi lākh/lak from the Sanskrit laksha.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, she can. It's quite straightforward to do.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, she can. It's quite straightforward to do.

I'm not sure I'd describe anything that involves paperwork, bureaucracy and government departments as straightforward! One of my friends spent nearly eight months getting all her documentation etc changed (one office lost her marriage certificate for four months, another confirmed her name change and then denied ever having heard of her in either her maiden or her married name), and then had to start the whole process all over again in reverse five months later when she got divorced. She has decided not to change her name should she ever be convinced to marry again.

cheskagirl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi there, we all know that it is a must to change our last name when we get married. When you see in all other parts of the world, we have a maiden name, it symbolizes our surname when we are not yet married. Also the last name should be change because it is a prove that you are no longer single and as the message says. You are now one, so therefore if you're husbands last name is Mr.Brown, you will now be Mrs.Brown.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the foru, cheskagirl. :hi:
Hi there, we all know that it is a must to change our last name when we get married. ...
I disagree. However, if we wish to discuss this topic, we need to start a new thread in this forum: General Members Discussions

The 'Ask a Teacher' forum is for the discussion of language.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'...we all know that it is a must to change our last name when we get married' - Oh yeah?

(Perhaps you don't understand the idiom 'it is a must'. ;-))

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi there, we all know that it is a must to change our last name when we get married. When you see in all other parts of the world, we have a maiden name, it symbolizes our surname when we are not yet married. Also the last name should be change because it is a prove that you are no longer single and as the message says. You are now one, so therefore if you're husbands last name is Mr.Brown, you will now be Mrs.Brown.

Are you quite certain that your member profile is correct? It says you are a native English speaker from the United States, yet also that you are a student or learner of English. No offence, but if English is your first language, you have not represented yourself well with your first post.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In Britain, so long as there is no intent to deceive, we can call ourselves anything we wish. We do not have to register our own or our spouse's name anywhere. Of course, if we wish to be known by the name we have chosen, then we need to inform those people we wish to use that name of our decision.

No.

An identity card is something that people in most countries in the world have to carry in order to prove their identity when required.

Changes in both documents can normally be made only by the issuing authority.

I do appreciate all your useful and interesting posts prof. 5jj, just because I am very careful to your good comments it happened to me to guess you had a misunderstanding of other nations when you mentioned, 'An identity card is something that people in most countries in the world have to carry in order to prove their identity when required.' or the other place when you said, 'there is no intent to deceive in your country, so every one can call themselves with anything they like'
I just wanted to clarify: we, like the majority of the countries, are in a nation that people don't usually intent to do so and no one has to carry any thing like the so called ID-card. Only drivers has to carry their driver's licence.

Thank you, I'd expect you to accept my warm feeling of nationalism.
ata

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.