Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everyone,

I was playing Football yesterday, and my sister was cooking dinner.
I was playing Football yesterday. And my sister was cooking dinner.

I know While is far more appropriate than and here, but I want to know whether these two sentences are right or not? And if they are true, which one is more formal?

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am not a grammar czar, but here goes...

I would not agree that while is "far more appropriate", unless you were trying to make a point about the relative timings of the two events. Hence, "I was playing Football yesterday, and my sister was cooking dinner" is perfectly normal and appropriate.

Your second version: "
I was playing Football yesterday. And my sister was cooking dinner" is a bit more unusual. One does not routinely start a sentence with "And", unless one is making a specific comment: separating the two statements to achieve an effect. Reading this would make me think that there was something out of the ordinary about your sister cooking dinner: perhaps she resented doing it because she wanted to play football too?

By the way, one does not normally spell "football" with a capital "F".

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Umm so It's unusual, or un-natural to be more specific. The sentence should have been: I was playing football. And my sister was cooking the dinner, she was resented doing it because she wanted to play football too?

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Umm so It's unusual, or un-natural to be more specific. The sentence should have been: I was playing football. And my sister was cooking the dinner. She resented doing it, because she wanted to play football too.

I wouldn't even say it's un-natural. And it's becoming more common, like starting sentences with "But". Feel free to do so when there's a good reason. But don't overdo it!

Status
Not open for further replies.