Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2012
    • Posts: 106
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Underappreciated/Underestimated

    I would like to know if there are any nuances in using these words.
    Are they the synonyms for each other?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,077
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Underappreciated/Underestimated

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lucky_One View Post
    I would like to know if there are any nuances in using these words.
    Are they the synonyms for each other?
    No, they are not synonyms.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2012
    • Posts: 106
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Underappreciated/Underestimated

    Please, could you try to explain the differences of these words to me?
    How does someone who is underappreciated differ from someone who is underestimated?

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 17,555
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Underappreciated/Underestimated

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lucky_One View Post
    Please, could you try to explain the differences of these words to me?
    How does someone who is underappreciated differ from someone who is underestimated?
    If you underestimate someone, they can do more than you believe they can. If you underestimate something, it is bigger than you thought it was. "I underestimated Mary. She is a great contributor to our team and I'm glad she was the person hired instead of the person I had recommended. "Many people underestimated the impacts of the snowstorm and now they are at home in the cold and in the dark wtihout enough food."

    If you underappreciate something, you don't realize how good it is, how valuable. Susan felt underappreciated at work when her coworkers got a trip to Bermuda and she got a $50 gift card for the project they all worked on.


    There are times, however, when "appreciate" is used to mean "estimated." "We didn't appreciate how much damage the CEO's affair would have on the company's reputation."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2012
    • Posts: 106
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Underappreciated/Underestimated

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    If you underestimate someone, they can do more than you believe they can. If you underestimate something, it is bigger than you thought it was. "I underestimated Mary. She is a great contributor to our team and I'm glad she was the person hired instead of the person I had recommended. "Many people underestimated the impacts of the snowstorm and now they are at home in the cold and in the dark wtihout enough food."

    If you underappreciate something, you don't realize how good it is, how valuable. Susan felt underappreciated at work when her coworkers got a trip to Bermuda and she got a $50 gift card for the project they all worked on.


    There are times, however, when "appreciate" is used to mean "estimated." "We didn't appreciate how much damage the CEO's affair would have on the company's reputation."
    Thanks for your detailed reply.
    I'd like to ask two more questions about the word "appreciate". Is it right to say "I treasure something (or somebody)." meaning that I appreciate something (or somebody)? And is there a word such as "Undertreasure" in the English language?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,369
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Underappreciated/Underestimated

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lucky_One View Post
    Thanks for your detailed reply.
    I'd like to ask two more questions about the word "appreciate". Is it right to say "I treasure something (or somebody)." meaning that I appreciate something (or somebody)? And is there a word such as "Undertreasure" in the English language?
    No. "Undertreasure" is not a word. You can take someone or something for granted. Or fail to appreciate someone.

Similar Threads

  1. [Idiom] overestimated or underestimated?
    By asaf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jul-2009, 12:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •