Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

I am glad to have a new group of the forum members to talk to and exchange opinions with.

This is my question.

Does "His mother was prepared for him to die" mean the same as "His mother was prepared that he would die?"

The source: A sentence said by a woman on BBC World Service's programme about Syria.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to Using English.
Thank you for giving your thread a good title, and for using proper English in asking your question.

"His mother was prepared that he would die" - this is not a natural statement.

His mother was prepared (knew it might happen and was ready for it) for his death.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you for a quick reply.
Does it mean that "His mother was prepared for him to die" is wrong and should be replaced by "His mother was prepared (knew it might happen and was ready for it) for his death"?

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
A reply to post 3 would be very appreciated.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you for a quick reply.
Does it mean that "His mother was prepared for him to die" is wrong and should be replaced by "His mother was prepared (knew it might happen and was ready for it) for his death"?
No, Barb's answer is an explanation of the meaning. "His mother was prepared for him to die" is not wrong.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Would a native speaker of English say "His mother was prepared for him to die" in everyday situations?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Would a native speaker of English say "His mother was prepared for him to die" in everyday situations?
No. Like Barb, I'd probably say, "His mother was prepared (knew it might happen and was ready for it) for his death". I might say "His mother was prepared for him to die" if I knew that his mother was sending him off to fight for his cause - not an everyday situation for most mothers that I know.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No. Like Barb, I'd probably say, "His mother was prepared (knew it might happen and was ready for it) for his death". I might say "His mother was prepared for him to die" if I knew that his mother was sending him off to fight for his cause - not an everyday situation for most mothers that I know.
Hmm, I can't really accept that a native speaker would say that sentence.
"His mother was prepared for his death." - fine
"His mother was prepared (knew it might happen and was ready for it) for his death." - It would be extremely unlikely for someone to say this in AusE. Its use would be confined to a written explanation of the meaning of the original questionable sentence, rather than as a more natural statement of that sentence. I could have sworn Barb was using it as an explanation rather than as a better alternative.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not that I ever expect to find myself in that situation, I imagine I would say:

His mother was prepared for his death.
His mother was prepared for the possibility that he might die.

The first seems more relevant for someone who, perhaps, has a terminal illness and whose mother has come to terms with the fact that he is certainly going to die before one would have expected.
The second would be appropriate for a mother whose son was heading off to war.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In one real-life situation, I was half-prepared for my son ... to be dead when I arrived / ... to have died before I arrived.

Fortunately, he survived.

Status
Not open for further replies.