Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everyone,

Does this sentence sound naturally?

I am writing with regard to your plan of replacing our beautiful garden with a car park. Unfortunately, the majority of the dwellers expostulate with it after they had contemplated the drawbacks.

Also,
Is there any formal word instead of 'WELL' to form a pause? like in this sentence to end to letter.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I would be grateful (instead of I'm grateful)

I appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited:

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone,

Do[STRIKE]es[/STRIKE] these sentences sound natural[STRIKE]ly[/STRIKE]?

I am writing with regard to your plan of replacing our beautiful garden with a car park. Unfortunately, the majority of the dwellers expostulate with it after they had contemplated the drawbacks.

Also,
Is there any formal word instead of 'WELL' to form a pause? Like in this sentence to end the letter.[this is not a complete sentence]

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I would be grateful (instead of I'm grateful). [nor is this]

I appreciate it. Thanks

Sorry, but it does not sound natural. The best, most effective, communication is always the most straightforward. Never use a long, complicated word when a short, simple one is available. I would write the sentences thus.

"I am writing about your plan to replace our beautiful garden with a car park. Most of the householders affected do not agree with it."

I'm not sure what you mean by a formal word to form a pause in written English. If you mean something like "Well, thank you for your assistance", I would say that you do not need to insert anything. If you feel you must, then something like "Finally" will do.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Well, I am currently confused. I should write FORMAL words in the formal letters? right ? so why what I have written is wrong?? :) Do complicated words affect my writing? w

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Grumpy is absolutely correct. Your letter sounds unnatural, florid and pretentious.

Grumpy's letter is perfectly formal and straight to the point. By comparison, an informal one would read 'About this plan of yours to make a car park out of our nice garden — most of us who live round here think it stinks'.

Rover

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I am currently confused. I should write FORMAL words in the formal letters? right ? so why what I have written is wrong?? :) Do complicated words affect my writing? w

"Expostulate" is not a common word at all. I had to look it up to see what it meant. It is best to avoid using obscure words.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
In a nutshell, Using a simple words grab attention much better than using those strong words? Will is attract my examiner's attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.