Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
(source: Sapphire's Afteword for Iceberg Slim's novel Pimp, The Story of my life)

The problematic sentence:

"My brother reported having seen himat the So What Club on Vermont and Jefferson in the late 60s or early 70s."

Background:

Sapphire (aka. Ramona Lofton), starts the afterwoed for the novel by telling that only her brother saw Iceberg alive in some club many years ago.

But what does 'on Vermont and Jefferson' mean? Are they two streets that cross each other and the club is on the corner?

I have already met a similar problem early in the novel when Slim wrote:

"Around ten that night in an alley in the heart of the vice section, Seventh and Vliet Sts. we unwrapped the package that Party have brought."

Here again it sounds a little bit confusing to me and it is hard to define the exact position of the two streets and the two men (I mean I hardly could draw a map about this scene) Can you help me with an explanation?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But what does 'on Vermont and Jefferson' mean? Are they two streets that cross each other and the club is on the corner?
I imagine so.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Chicago has a Vermont Avenue and a Jefferson Street, but they do not meet. Possibly the person who saw Slim was talking about a city other than Chicago.

There is no Vliet Street in Chicago, nor a 7th Street. The street between 6th and 8th is now called Balbo Avenue. I think that Slim just made up those street names. He was writing fiction after all.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
While Chicago has no intersection of Vermont and Jefferson, Los Angeles has. Slim's third novel Trick Baby was made into a movie in 1972. Perhaps he had gone to Los Angeles in connection with the movie. Vermont and Jefferson is in the part of LA where the movie studios are, I think.

Last edited:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Chicago has a Vermont Avenue and a Jefferson Street, but they do not meet. Possibly the person who saw Slim was talking about a city other than Chicago.

There is no Vliet Street in Chicago, nor a 7th Street. The street between 6th and 8th is now called Balbo Avenue. I think that Slim just made up those street names. He was writing fiction after all.
Los Angeles has an intersection at Jefferson Boulevard and Vermont Street. The intersection is near the University of Southern California (USC). I don't know if "The Story of My Life" takes place in Los Angeles.

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.