Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I am wondering if a phrase like this can be corrct in English.
"I have broken my leg as many times as your fingers this year."
By "as many times as your fingers" I want to emphasize it has happened to me many times (ten times) this year. I think this is not correct or standard. Can you please help and say / arrange it the correct way? If it is possible, I really want to use a phrase like "as many times as your fingers" in my sentence.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If your sentence means anything it is, "I have broken my leg as many times as I have broken your fingers".

To convey the message that you want to, you'd have to say, "I have broken my leg as many times as the number of fingers you have", but this seems very strange. However the fact that a person manages to break his leg ten times in one year indicates that s/he is is probably a little strange anyway.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I totally agree that if someone can break his leg ten times a year, he / she is very unusual. But it's just an example to use that phrase. I exactly mean the following sentence that you posted.
"I have broken my leg as many times as the number of fingers you have"
How about this example? Is this natural or do you think nobody would make a sentence like this?
"I have as many siblings as the number of your fingers."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How about this example? Is this natural or do you think nobody would make a sentence like this?
It's the sort of thing an irritating teacher/parent/grandparent might say to an inquisitive child.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for your answers and support. But may I ask you to answer in a more understandable way?

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I am an extremely irritating grandparent. However, we don't use the term "siblings" very much in British English - and certainly not when talking informally to a friend or a child. So I would say something like "I have as many brothers and sisters as you have fingers".

Status
Not open for further replies.