• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

What knowledge of English should children have after 4 years of language teaching?

Disclaimer: I am not a teacher and English is not my first language.

I am currently helping to teach English at a small village school in Thailand. I will be there for another two weeks. I teach Prathom 3, 4, 5 and 6 students with an age range from 9 - 12 years. The total number of students I teach is 19. Their general knowledge of English is very bad, with the Prathom 6 students being the worst. I tried to find out from their Thai teachers what subjects have to be covered up to the end of Prathom 6. Unfortunately they have no idea whatsoever.

I now try to find out what kind of English knowledge children should have after having been taught English for four years with three hourly lessons per week; I estimate they will have about 120 hours of English lessons annually. What tenses should they know, what vocabulary knowledge should they have, what other subjects should be covered, etc. I know I won't be able to do much in two weeks, but at least I want to teach them as much usefull stuff as possible.

If there is anybody here who could point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

TomUK

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Cambodia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: What knowledge of English should children have after 4 years of language teaching

This is quite a small amount. I'm guessing it depends on how much they practice outside of school, the quality of their teachers, etc. I would suggest that they should have a basic understanding of vocabulary, grammar, etc. But it really depends on many more things than just how long they've spent in a classroom.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: What knowledge of English should children have after 4 years of language teaching

After that time, they should have some basic grasp of present/past/future and be able to communicate, but things vary a lot according to the setting- in some places, they would be fairly proficient, but in a rural setting like this, the ability to communicate at sentence level should be possible.