Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

this is from the Yahoo News story about the manhunt for the ex-policeman who is on the run.

From Time:
In June 2011 a county sheriff in North Dakota was trying to track down three men, possibly carrying guns, in connection with some missing cows. He had a lot of ground to cover, so—as one does—he called in a Predator drone from a local Air Force base. It not only spotted the men but could see that they were in fact unarmed. It was the first time a Predator had been involved in the arrest of U.S. citizens.

What is the meaning of 'as one does' here?

Thank you

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It means "as is the normal thing to do in these situations". It's used a little sarcastically here because it's probably not all that common for someone to be able to call on the services of a Predator drone from the Air Force when carrying out a hunt for cattle rustlers! Indeed, the piece goes on to say that it was the first time the drone had been used in this type of case.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could you as you do as an informal version, which would possibly make the sarcasm clearer.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
@emsr2d2, @tdol, thank you for the explanation. Sorry for the late response. Apart from not understanding the sarcasm, it was confusing for me to read that the drone was used for the first time in this type of case. So, if it was being used the first time, I thought, how can it be said - as one does.

Thank you :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Apart from not understanding the sarcasm, it was confusing for me to read that the drone was used for the first time in this type of case. So, if it was being used the first time, I thought, how can it be said - as one does.
I discussed this with the Queen, as one does, and she thought the same as you.

;-)

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
@5jj, you are so funny. :lol:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
One reason for megacephaly among hirsute sexagenarian pedagogues is the immense size of their brains.

Status
Not open for further replies.