Which one does ‘his’ indicate, Harry or Quirrell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eipjoo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Harry sprang toward the flame door, but Voldemort screamed "SEIZE HIM!" and the next second, Harry felt Quirrell's hand close on his wrist. At once, a needle-sharp pain seared across Harry's scar; his head felt as though it was about to split in two; he yelled, struggling with all his might, and to his surprise, Quirrell let go of him. The pain in his head lessened -- he looked around wildly to see where Quirrell had gone, and saw him hunched in pain, looking at his fingers -- they were blistering before his eyes. (Harry Potter)

Which one does ‘his’ indicate, Harry or Quirrell?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's not clear.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't expect to enhance my popularity much by saying that I find J.K. Rowling a very poor writer. I much prefer the films - I prefer CGI to her rather clunky prose, and her imagination is extraordinary. I've only read the first book, and I had a sinking feeling by the end of the first paragraph. ;-)

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Though I am not a J.K. Rowling's fan either, I think it was Harry, because the story is told through the eyes of Harry Potter and the accent is put on his feelings and experiences.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Given that both Harry and Quirrell could see the hand, it doesn't really matter, does it?

I've said many times that there are outstanding writers who don't necessarily tell a great story, and great story tellers whose writing ranges from very good to absolutely awful. It's rare to find both in one person. JK is a great story teller, and I find her writing most adequate to tell her stories. I loved every book and every movie.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For what it's worth, I think it's Quirrell.
The pain in his [H] head lessened -- he [H] looked around wildly to see where Quirrell had gone, and saw him [Q] hunched in pain, looking at his [Q's] fingers...
Thus far it's clear. And as it's Quirrell that has just been described as looking at his fingers, I guess 'before his eyes' refers to Quirrell's.

But as Barb says, it doesn't really matter.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.