Is this an old expression or still prevalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eipjoo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Are you not very thankful to have such a fine place to live at?”(Jane Eyre)

Being familiar with the expression "aren't you […]," it's quite strange to meet this one. Is it the expression used just in the writer's age, or is it still prevalent?

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This form of words is very seldom used these days. It is almost never heard in normal conversation, but is occasionally used when someone [generally a well-read individual] is trying to draw particular attention to something. For example, some years ago, a judge in a British courtroom said of a witness, "Has she not grace? Has she not fragrance?"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
... some years ago, a judge in a British courtroom said of a witness, "Has she not grace? Has she not fragrance?"
That [expletive deleted] judge was almost universally mocked for his outdated views. The language he used showed how antediluvian his mindset was.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't have said antediluvian exactly - they didn't think like that before the Flood! I'd have placed his attitudes nearer the time when the tradition of Courtly Love was established. ;-)

This form is still used by self-important people (usually, like that judge, in positions of power). I can remember teachers and priests (often teaching priests) saying things like 'Have you not thought what you're doing to your lungs?'

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You'll come across it in some regional forms and, mostly, people trying to be rhetorical or serious. In ordinary speech and writing, it is very uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.