Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I don't understand the following in red.

Some people's unhealthy habit is occasionally eating one too many donuts. But most often, with people who choose transformation, it's something more than that. There are almost as many kinds of addictive habits as there are people. Yes, they include drug and alcohol problems.

Is it just saying "some people have a habit of eating too many donuts (i.e. junk food)"?

Thank you.

hetzer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't understand the following in red.

Some people's unhealthy habit is occasionally eating one too many donuts. But most often, with people who choose transformation, it's something more than that. There are almost as many kinds of addictive habits as there are people. Yes, they include drug and alcohol problems.

Is it just saying "some people have a habit of eating too many donuts (i.e. junk food)"?

Thank you.
If your question relates to the phrase in red, then the phrase means something specific. If X is the limit to the healthy number of donuts to eat, some people's unhealthy habit is to occasionally eat X+1 donuts.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We use the phrase fairly casually. It doesn't have to mean exactly "X+1" but it's something around that figure. If a friend saw me in the street, looking a little ill and rubbing my stomach, she might say "What's wrong with you?" and I might reply "I think I might have eaten one doughnut too many". I'm not giving her an exact figure. I'm just saying that I should have stopped eating doughnuts before I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.