Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
'yesterday morning', 'yesterday afternoon', 'yesterday evening' are all possible except 'yesterday night', which is an exception. Koreans also make a mistake of saying 'yesterday night' as the Korean language has the same composition or word order. So it should be always "last night", right?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
'yesterday morning', 'yesterday afternoon', 'yesterday evening' are all possible except 'yesterday night', which is an exception. Koreans also make a mistake of saying 'yesterday night' as the Korean language has the same composition or word order. So it should be always "last night", right?

Yes.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Note that in BrE we often use 'last night' when you might expect to hear 'yesterday evening'. If I say, "I went to the pub last night" it is possible that I went at seven o'clock and came home before nine.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note that in BrE we often use 'last night' when you might expect to hear 'yesterday evening'. If I say, "I went to the pub last night" it is possible that I went at seven o'clock and came home before nine.

Same here.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If I say, "I went to the pub last night" it is possible that I went at seven o'clock and came home before nine.
My wife has just pointed out to me that this is a purely hypothetical example. The idea of my coming home from the pub before nine (in the evening) is something she cannot believe possible.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

We would say/write "last night" instead of "yesterday night" since "last night" is a part of today, am I right? Correct me please?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No — last night was part of yesterday.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
For most Korean males, who are heavy drinkers, it would be impossible,too. Once they start to drink, they have to go to second round, third round, or endless ones... If you are a husband coming back home before nine after drinking, you will be loved by your wife for your lifetime! :lol:

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Aaaaah....Soju! Happy memories...

Status
Not open for further replies.