Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
Qatar
Greetings!!!

Dear Sir/madam

I would like to inform that, iam not able to write mail to my colegues/boss and friends.
main problem is i do not know how to begain the mail for any purpose. Kindly guid me for improving
mail writing.

Thanks & Best regards
AS. Karthik
QATAR

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Greetings!!!

Dear Sir/madam

I would like to inform that I am [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] unable to write letters to my colleagues, boss and friends. The
main problem is that I do not know how to beg[STRIKE]a[/STRIKE]in the mail for any purpose. Kindly guide me towards improving my letter writing.

Thanks & Best regards
AS. Karthik
QATAR

Dear Sir

You have made the correct start in writing a formal letter to someone whose name and/or sex you do not know. If you are writing to an organisation, rather than a specific individual within that organisation, then start it with "Dear Sirs". Do not waste the reader's time with flowery introductions, such as "It gives me great pleasure to address your esteemed person.." and "May I humbly introduce myself.." and even "I would like to inform you". Come straight to the point, as in "I am unable to write letters.....because I do not know how to begin..." Tell them everything you wish to in as few words as possible, making very clear why you are writing to them, and what you want them to do for you. You may thank the reader in anticipation of his/her help, but close this sort of formal letter thus:

Yours faithfully

Grumpy Mackay

Dear Askarthik

When you are writing to someone whose name you know, be it a friend or colleague, or your boss, then address them by their name. If it's a friend, use the name you would use if you were speaking to them. If it's your boss, or someone you do not know personally, then use their official title and their family name, such as "Mr Smith' or Dr Jones" and so on. If it's a personal, social letter to a friend, then what you write in the body of the letter is entirely up to you. However, if the letter has a specific purpose, then use the same principles as for the more formal letter above: ie get your message across clearly, and make sure that the reader understands what you want them to do as a result of reading your letter. The "standard" way [in British English] of signing off such a letter is thus:

Yours sincerely

Grumpy

Status
Not open for further replies.