English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a barbell.

The "rod" is called a bar and the weights that you add to the ends to change the total weight are called bells.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
the weights that you add to the ends to change the total weight are called bells.
I did not know that. I would have called them just 'weights'.

I am not saying that you are wrong - I have no knowledge at all of the correct terminology for instruments of torture. I imagine that most couch potatoes share my ignorance.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: 'Barbell' sounds to me like the unadjustable thing the Victorian strong-men in leotards used to sport. I'd just have said 'weights', or - to make it more specific to freestanding weights rather than a machine for 'pumping iron' - 'lifting weights'.

b
PS I once heard Alistair Cooke suggest that 'couch potato' was based on a pun on 'tuber'. I haven't checked this anywhere, but it's an interesting idea.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a barbell.

The "rod" is called a bar and the weights that you add to the ends to change the total weight are called bells.

This works for me, though I have never used one. ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my younger, more athletic days, I was a keen gymnast. Part of our training involved lifting weights, both dumbbells and barbells. I think it's tue that gyms call them "free weights" but those are usually the smaller ones which involve holding one in each hand and carrying out a variety of lifts and holds.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In my younger, more athletic days, I was a keen gymnast. Part of our training involved lifting weights, both dumbbells and barbells. I think it's tue that gyms call them "free weights" but those are usually the smaller ones which involve holding one in each hand and carrying out a variety of lifts and holds.

Thank you, emsr2d2, I've just found it in the dictionary!
Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You could've saved yourself the trouble of asking here by simply clicking on the English definition (in the left sidebar labeled Languages) of the Wikipedia entry you provided in your first post. I do that sometimes with Czech Wikipedia entries and it usually works out just fine. Here:

Barbell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You could've saved yourself the trouble of asking here by simply clicking on the English definition (in the left sidebar labeled Languages) of the Wikipedia entry you provided in your first post.
A very helpful tip. I don't make the mistake of assuming that everything I read in Wikipedia is automatically true (unless I happen to have written it ;-)) but I find it a very useful tool.

I have to confess that I hadn't spotted that sidebar. :oops:

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
All this talk about weightlifting has worn me out. I'm off to bed....

Status
Not open for further replies.