• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default executrix , executor

Doesn't 'executor' or 'executrix' mean a person who is in charge of a dying person's prorperty? It doesn't refer to actors or actresses, right?

st30)The use of heroine and executrix as referring to a hero or executor who is female illustrates what Douglas Hofstadter calls "the slippery slope" of meaning. In his book Metamagical Themas, Hofstadter shows diagrammatically how the slippery slope works. A triangle represents the idea of, let's say, a heroic person. At one base angle of this triangle is the word heroine, representing the female heroic person. At the other base angle is the word hero, representing the male heroic person. And at the apex is the generic word, again hero, encompassing both. But because the hero at the apex and the hero at one base are identical in name, their separate meanings slip back and forth along one side of the triangle, the slippery slope. The meanings blend and absorb each other. They bond together on the slope. And heroine, at the other base angle, remains outside that bond.
    Last edited by keannu; 17-Feb-2013 at 05:09.

Gillnetter is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: executrix , executor

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Doesn't 'executor' or 'executrix' mean a person who is in charge of a dying person's prorperty? It doesn't refer to actors or actresses, right?

st30)The use of heroine and executrix as referring to a hero or executor who is female illustrates what Douglas Hofstadter calls "the slippery slope" of meaning...
    An executor (male) or executrix (female), in the broadest sense, is one who does something. An executor could: kill someone under an order from the state, manage a will or estate, or preform an act. It would be correct, though not common, to say that I executed the act of starting the automobile this morning.

The writer here is saying that using the words executor or executrix for actors or actresses is changing, or broadening, the meaning of these terms.

keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot! But actors or actresses are for movies or TV, they may be included in this broad concept of "executor", but I don't know why the translator made such a limited interpretation of the word, translating it to only "actors".

Gillnetter is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Thanks a lot! But actors or actresses are for movies or TV, they may be included in this broad concept of "executor", but I don't know why the translator made such a limited interpretation of the word, translating it to only "actors".
    "The use of heroine and executrix as referring to a hero or executor who is female illustrates what Douglas Hofstadter calls "the slippery slope" of meaning... "

Because that is what the writer was writing about. He wasn't writing about airplane pilots or bus drivers, only actors and actresses. Do you understand what a "slippery slope" means?

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I think that is not what the author is saying at all. The author is drawing parallels between two unrelated nouns and their feminine counterparts. Actor is to actress as executor is to exuectrix. It's not saying anything about actors being executors.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Jaskin is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Please note not a teacher nor a native speaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    An executor (male) or executrix (female), in the broadest sense, is one who does something. An executor could: kill someone under an order from the state, manage a will or estate, or preform an act. It would be correct, though not common, to say that I executed the act of starting the automobile this morning.

The writer here is saying that using the words executor or executrix for actors or actresses is changing, or broadening, the meaning of these terms.
    Isn't the term for the underline an executioner rather than executor ?

keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

*Please see above for the whole original writing.
    I agree with Barb_D. There's nothing related to actors, and this writing is wholly about discrimination regarding even when using female-specific terms in many areas and the triangle is just an analogy. I think "executrix" is just an example of female terms.

**I had to type in everything to help you understand, and this is really tough for me. This is an example of a workbook for college entrance exam and sometimes I feel like suing the publisher for wrong interpretations.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Neither executor nor actor is restricted to people who have just one specified role.
    Last edited by 5jj; 17-Feb-2013 at 11:59. Reason: typo