Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Ain't no sense worryin' about the things you got control over, 'cause if you got control over 'em, ain't no sense worryin'. And ain't no sense worryin' about the things you don't got control over, 'cause if you don't got control over 'em, ain't no sense worryin'.”
More: WORRY -- QUENCH THIS FIERY DART -- Sermon By Pastor David Jeremiah - YouTube

Why does Pastor David Jeremiah pronounce "Ain't no" /eɪnoʊ/? I know it is difficult for me to pronounce it /eɪntnoʊ/. Do we have a rule in which the sound /t/ can be dropped when it is followed by the
sound /n/ ? Yes, it is "Not standard." But Pastor David used it. So, I have to be familiar with.

Definition of ain't | Collins English Dictionary

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Ain't no sense worryin' about the things you got control over, 'cause if you got control over 'em, ain't no sense worryin'. And ain't no sense worryin' about the things you don't got control over, 'cause if you don't got control over 'em, ain't no sense worryin'.”
More: WORRY -- QUENCH THIS FIERY DART -- Sermon By Pastor David Jeremiah - YouTube

Why does Pastor David Jeremiah pronounce "Ain't no" /eɪnoʊ/? I know it is difficult for me to pronounce it /eɪntnoʊ/. Do we have a rule in which the sound /t/ can be dropped when it is followed by the
sound /n/ ? Yes, it is "Not standard." But Pastor David used it. So, I have to be familiar with.

Definition of ain't | Collins English Dictionary
Because he's quoting a sportsman (Mickey Rivers, an outfielder for the Texas Rangers) and half trying to emulate his accent.
The real question might be, "Why does Mickey Rivers speak like that?".

200px-Mickey_Rivers_2010.jpeg

Mickey Rivers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Maybe it's a BrE pronunciation, but I'd probably stick a glottal in rather than eliminating the whole sound.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: So would I, but in the song 'Ain' no sunshine when she's gone' there doesn't seem to be one (unless a Br English puts one there ;-))

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was thinking that it might be an African-American thing, but Dylan does it too: 'It ain' no use to sit 'n' wonder why Babe...'. (In Peter Paul and Mary's cover they put the T back. I guess Dylan came from the other side of the tracks ;-)).

b

Stephanie S

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Malta
You find this dropping of the /t/, or rather, it's conversion into a glottal stop, in more common forms as well. "Can't," for example, is usually pronounced with a glottal stop and not a /t/. This can be confusing to non-native speakers when they get out of the classroom and don't hear a distinct /t/ sound. Sometimes they can hear no difference between "can" and "can't." In teaching pronunciation or diction, it is often more useful to explain the sound as a glottal stop rather than as a t.

Stephanie

Last edited by a moderator:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And, especially in the can/can't case, this causes a difficulty for speakers of Br English (who use the vowel sound as the prime distinguisher: /æ/ => positive, /a:/ => negative) when listening to a speaker of Am English - who uses the positive-sounding (to us) vowel sound in both cases. :)

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
These types of "T's" disappear in the spoken language in many cases in my dialect - and many other American ones. For instance, a supermarket chain here is called "Giant Eagle," but you'll never hear the "t" pronounced by any locals.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
These types of "T's" disappear in the spoken language in many cases in my dialect - and many other American ones. For instance, a supermarket chain here is called "Giant Eagle," but you'll never hear the "t" pronounced by any locals.
Perhaps, but you're not saying that that is Pastor Jeremiah's natural dialect are you?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Perhaps, but you're not saying that that is Pastor Jeremiah's natural dialect are you?

What an excellent question. No doubt Soothing Dave is right about the accents he hears, but I also wondered to what extent the pastor's accent was real.

Stephanie S

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Malta
I was thinking, there are many cases in which we exclude /t/, especially when it occurs in between vowels or after /n/. Sorry I don't have an IPA keyboard on this computer, but for example: I don't know = /aidou'nou/, Martin = /'mar?n/, kitten = /'kI?n/, and of course, the famous /th'rano/ (Toronto). :)

Stephanie
[ad link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.