• Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "may even be"

Children: Love Your Parents

If you are someone's child, you are the next level in your family diagram. In being someone's child, ideally you are blessed to still have one or both parents in your life. They may be a text away or a short drive. They may even bepresent in your home. So what does G-d expect of you in the role of child? " 'Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the L-RD your God is giving you' " (Exodus20:12). This Old testament commandment was not just for those living before the time of Christ. It is repeated six times in the New Testament, validating its relevance in the life of a Christian. And of course, many parents' favorite verse: "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the L-rd" (Colossians 3:20).

After may be we usually have an adjective, a noun or a verb (in ING form)

• He may be crazy. (may be + adjective)
    • He may be a genius. (may be + article + noun)
    • He may be trying too hard. (may be + verb ING form)

Maybe or May be ? What is the difference? | Woodward English
    As you see that we can't use an adverb after "May be" – two words. So, it was put in the middle to avoid breaking English grammar rule, wasn’t it?

even adv ((EMPHASIS)) - definition in American English Dictionary - Cambridge Dictionary Online
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 19-Feb-2013 at 13:07. Reason: Remove link to religious tract.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "may even be"

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Dawn View Post

Children: Love Your Parents

If you are someone's child, you are the next level in your family diagram. In being someone's child, ideally you are blessed to still have one or both parents in your life. They may be a text away or a short drive. They may even be present in your home. So what does G-d expect of you in the role of child? " 'Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the L-RD your God is giving you' " (Exodus20:12). This Old testament commandment was not just for those living before the time of Christ. It is repeated six times in the New Testament, validating its relevance in the life of a Christian. And of course, many parents' favorite verse: "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the L-rd" (Colossians 3:20).

As you see that we can't use an adverb after "May be" – two words. So, it was put in the middle to avoid breaking English grammar rule, wasn’t it?

even adv ((EMPHASIS)) - definition in American English Dictionary - Cambridge Dictionary Online
    The first part of your post is too faint to be readable. Why did you do that?
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 19-Feb-2013 at 13:07.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

It's in its usual position.

I fancy watching a film tonight. I might even watch two!
    He has great fashion sense. He has even won an award for the way he dresses.

In your original post, there was no need to remove letters from "god", "lord" etc and replace them with hyphens. We generally only do that with swear words (rude words).
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Odessa Dawn is online now Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your question. I did that because I didnít intend to consume your precious time. I just wanted you to look at "May even be" not the whole context. Apologize for doing that and I will never do that in future posts/threads.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your question. I did that because I didn’t intend to consume your precious time. I just wanted you to look at "May even be" not the whole context. Apologize for doing that and I will never do that in future posts/threads.

In some cases, it actually takes longer to work out what is meant by a word with letters removed than just reading it. If you wanted to save our time, you could have just posted "... you are blessed to still have one or both parents in your life. They may be a text away or a short drive. They may even be present in your home."
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Chicken Sandwich is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

As you see that we can't use an adverb after "May be" – two words.
    This is not true. Note that they say 'After may be we usually have an adjective, a noun or a verb'.

You can use an adverb after 'may be'. There are 8,280,000 examples of "may be even" in Google Books. Here's one:

But things may be even worse when these jobs are filled - because payoffs may be making up the wage gap.
    (Corruption and Government: Causes, Consequences, and Reform - Susan Rose-Ackerman)
    I am not a teacher.

Odessa Dawn is online now Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    In your original post, there was no need to remove letters from "god", "lord" etc and replace them with hyphens. We generally only do that with swear words (rude words).
    But we can't erase the word "God" without showing disrespect. On the other hand, if we want to erase "G-d" and "L-rd" we can with showing respect to God. Thank you.
    More:Why Do Some Jews Spell "God" G-d?

Never mind! Next time I will write it as you have said. You are a great teacher and I show you respect. Besides, it is a must to listen to your directives/lessons. Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Language discussion on this forum has nothing to do with religious respect. This forum is about words and language, not religion. As I said, the only words which should be adapted are those which should not be read by minors (those under 18) and which might offend some adults.